The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stall fronts? What are these "hooks" for?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Allison Finch 
#1 ·
Lacey's new shed has two stall sized "compartments" that have no doors/front sides.

They do, however, have these weird little hook things that I imagine something is supposed to latch on to. However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out WHAT might attach to them. Maybe, hopefully you guys know.

Picture:

4 places to clip something, that go up to about chest/mid-shoulder height on an average sized horse... There was the same sort of things on the wall to the left of this picture and on the wall to the right of this picture.

Here's a visual of the whole thing (before I cleaned it), if that might help:

Ringing any bells? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess would be for webbed stall guards of some kind. Good for keeping a horse who paws from wrecking a hoof or leg, and to let curious horses have a bit more room to socialize (hang their head out the stall).

Cheers,
RSS
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Stall guards are that big?? :shock: Dude! :lol:

So are stall guards something you can just shove your horse behind and be like "Seeya later, homes!" or are they one of those 'supervision is necessary' sorts of things? I assume you probably have to supervise a horse that's behind a stall guard...

I know, Casey! I'm having a hard time deciding which one is going to be where she's fed and which one I want to attach my cross ties to! Both? Maybe do everything in one? I can't decide.
I have decided that I'm going to let her choose which one she likes, then do tying and maybe feeding in the other so her favorite isn't associated with anything negative... She's only mildly spoiled... :lol:

#6 ·
So are stall guards something you can just shove your horse behind and be like "Seeya later, homes!" or are they one of those 'supervision is necessary' sorts of things? I assume you probably have to supervise a horse that's behind a stall guard...
Depends on the horse. Where I board, we took the door off a "stallion" stall and replaced it with a stall guard so the gelding who uses that stall could put his head out into the aisle. He's the only horse that hasn't ever attempted to escape except when someone left an entire panel off of his run and then he did wander out to go eat grass but who can blame him for leaving via a 10ft hole? :lol:

#7 ·
I can take a closer picture of one of the hook-like things tomorrow. :) They are like giant gauge wire curving out of the wall, then back in... Like staples I guess, but without that flat area office staples have.

Hahaha, Delfina! That is too funny.

#8 ·
Stall guards are only a few feet wide, so my guess would be that perhaps when the last folks left, they took their stall fronts with them? It wouldn't surprise me, though it would be a daunting task. Could also be there was a gate or fence up (like hog wire perhaps)?

Cheers,
RSS
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Looks like either an aisle guard (they get 12 ft wide or better) or like a 12 ft cattle panel gate was hooked there. My guess would be the panel gate, more secure and less to worry about. I'd either use that or a 12 foot panel with a 4 ft bow gate in it in that type of shed. If your horse really respects a boundary, then an aisle guard could be ok, I just know mine lasted about 30 mins til someone wanted in the barn when I was cleaning and that was the end of 2 aisle guards. I now have panel gates at the ends of my aisles, so I don't have to shut the big doors all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.