The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   need advice for my situation (

Eddie 05-10-2012 07:50 PM

need advice for my situation

I don’t if anyone can help me, can give me some advice

My husband and I bought a baby Hannovarian stallion a year ago, it was in very good shape. I know nothing about horses, he had been dealing with horses for last 20-30 years, he did take a good care of the new baby, unfortunately he was hospitalized since November, the horse stayed in the farm near the house, the farmer just feed the horse and did the basic cleaning, my husband died 2 weeks ago, and leave me this 2 years old horse, I can’t keep this horse by myself, I talk to the lady who sold us the horse and see if she can help me to sell it, she can do that but will charge CAD$600 a month (including boarding & training) plus 20% fees of the selling price, she gave me 2 options: quick sale - will take about 1 month to give the minimum training and put on some weight, and lower selling price (she estimate at $3k-4.5k), or selling at top price (estimate at $3.5k-6k), that will take 2 months for more training, preparation…….

I don’t know which one is better, quick sales – just to get rid of it even losing money, or take the risk for the top price, hoping I can break even, my concern is 2 months from now will be mid-July, and if I can’t sell it before winter, probably I have to wait for next year, you know the winter in Canada……I don’t even know the selling price she told me is realistic or not.

Thank you very much in advance for all your comments

Skyseternalangel 05-10-2012 07:56 PM

730 Attachment(s)
Good decision to sell. have you tried advertising on equine now or horse clicks?

As long as he gets basic handling and gelded then he'll be more likely to sell.

You might be able to get a lot of money but I wouldn't count on it.. the horse industry is very down lately. But if he's got good conformation then I'm sure someone looking to train their own show horse would snatch him up.

Advertise everywhere

AlexS 05-10-2012 08:54 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Without more info about the horse it's really hard to say if it's a reasonable deal or not. If the horse has had little/no training - then it sounds fair. However if the horse knows a thing or two, she might be ripping you off.

Can you find another trainer in your area and pay them $40 (fairly normal price for an hour lesson, so an hour of their time) to come out and evaluate the horse for an hour and pass their opinion?

Skyseternalangel 05-10-2012 08:59 PM

730 Attachment(s)
Apologies OP, I too am very sorry for your loss. Got a little thread-jumpy.

Saskia 05-10-2012 10:05 PM

Selling a horse is hardly an exact science. While she may estimate he be sold in a certain amount of time, it all depends on who is looking. Even with the training he may not sell.

I personally think $600 a month is a very reasonable amount for full board, training and handling. Around this area just for board in a private paddock (no stable) you pay about $150 a week and they don't really do anything with your horse at all, just chuck it feed.

In your situation I'd probably take the cheaper selling price, the longer you have the horse the more it will cost you. Let's say it takes a month longer to sell then you've spent $1200 extra - that could easily make the horse the same price as the cheap option.

Be aware that there is no guarantee that the horse will sell, and you could just be putting a lot of money into the horse and get nothing.

TimberRidgeRanch 05-10-2012 10:22 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. And I commend you on knowing when the best thing to do for you and this stallion is to sell. Honestly I think the trainer is out for the money. I dont know what happen to lending a helping hand in a time of diar need not Hey shes in a jam lets take her for a ride and get as much out of this situation I can get. Wish I was closer or you were. I know alot of warmblood owners and would help you plae this horse and I wouldnt ask for money. I think if you tell her Board with the training at 600 month + 10% shes already making money off the training and boarding end and she must sell said horse in reasonable time manner if sold as soon as possible then yes 20% that way she wont lally dag about getting him sold. Understand what I am trying to say. People who charge both board and want a percentage of sale is looking for the higher dollar and tend to be slow at getting said horse sold. and remember CONTRACT CONTRACT CONTRACT


arrowsaway 05-10-2012 10:23 PM

I'm so sorry you lost your husband. My condolences.
I would pay her for the boarding and training, and then ask someone on here to help you write a sale ad and how to take pictures.
Don't give her 20% of your profit. Once you figure out how to do it correctly, advertising and selling your horse is not difficult. I did it the first time on my own, and ended up selling a greenbroke 3 year old for three times what I paid for him.

Missy May 05-11-2012 02:37 AM

My condolences, I am sorry for your loss.

My .02. If he is a hanoverian stud colt of good lines - which I am guessing is on the basis he was left a stud, then he should be easier to sell than just "any old stud horse". He is young enough to have the advantage of "more buyers" (both those that want a stud, and those that don't and can easily geld him). Do comparative price research, include his blood lines and registration number in an online ad description, make the price competative. There is even a "horses for sale" thread on this forum. I would put him on the bigger ones, someone suggested - like horse clicks, or whatnot. All you will be out whilst waiting for a buyer is his feed from the sounds of it...not the 600/mo and 20%.

tinyliny 05-11-2012 03:06 AM

So sorry for you . This must be a very trying time.

I will say that the cost that the trainer quoted you does not sound unusual. I think it is quite typical for a good trainer's fee/board/training, and marketing the horse with a 20% commission is pretty normal. Such persons can usually find a higher price for your horse than you can yourself. AND, I bet you have many other important things to deal with due to your husband's death.

I would be inclined to have another knowledgeable person evaluate the stud colt based on his pedigree and his conformation, give you a second opinon on his value untrained and his value trained. Then you can decide whther to engage the trainer of not.

It's always good to have a second opinon.

Spirit Lifter 05-11-2012 10:40 AM

Sorry for your loss...

I would cut my losses and sell quickly. You have enough on your plate to deal with. That is unless you think the selling process would be fun for you to help keep your mind off the matter at hand.

Thoughts are with you.:-(

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome