The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rainrot. What makes it worse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rainrot-what-makes-worse-123023/)

Leahrene 05-10-2012 09:18 PM

Rainrot. What makes it worse?

So my gelding has rainrot and I want to keep him stalled. Ive heard it can spread to other horses but my main problem is the mud in the pasture. Theres a small creek in back and is always getting the horses muddyn the manager doesnt want him in so she doesnt have to feed him extra and stuff. Wont it spread if the mud stays or gets on him? I want him in so he can get better faster. We are treating it but we dont know if we should put him jn the arena or outside?
Thanks. :)

Skyseternalangel 05-10-2012 09:21 PM

Honestly the thing that will make it worse is putting a blanket/sheet on top. I believe it only spreads if you use the same brushes.. but it's not like the common cold. He'd probably be healthier out and about in all other areas.

My horse had it really bad and what helped was soaking the area in water, putting anti-dandruff shampoo on and rubbing it in, then hosing off and peeling the rainrot off. While giving him oral Vitamin A supplement and now he's doing great.

Betadine scrub also works, as does the treatment by Microtek.

Leahrene 05-10-2012 10:52 PM

Were using a iodine shampoo and its already clearing up andsome kind of antifungal hair growth stuff to help keep his coat good. We cant spray the arena, as it doesnt help anyways..its litterally just dust.

PaintHorseMares 05-10-2012 10:59 PM

As much as possible you want to keep the skin dry, and exposed to air and the sun. Skin problems like this thrive in dark, damp environments.

AnalisaParalyzer 05-11-2012 01:12 PM

I used listerine and oatmeal shampoo, along with lots of gentle curry brushing after she dried. Annie thought it smelled tasty, felt funny and tasted awful, but after about three weeks she was able to start growing hair back.
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 05-11-2012 01:17 PM

like everybody els said any wet will spread it so good luck

Leahrene 05-11-2012 04:52 PM

Ok. Thats what i thought. Its just the pasture is always wet and muddy. Last night my friend checked on him and treated him for me and said hes getting better. :)

nvr2many 05-11-2012 05:08 PM

I was under the impression that is was caused by a vitamin A deficiency?? More A, rot gone. ????

PaintHorseMares 05-11-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 1495936)
I was under the impression that is was caused by a vitamin A deficiency?? More A, rot gone. ????

Rain rot is caused by the Dermatophilus congolensis bacteria.

nvr2many 05-11-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1495958)
Rain rot is caused by the Dermatophilus congolensis bacteria.

Hum. I wonder what it was that was vitamin A?? Scratches maybe??? Anyway, thanks!!