The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   New rescue mare what do you think (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/new-rescue-mare-what-do-you-123024/)

cmarie 05-10-2012 09:03 PM

New rescue mare what do you think

3 Attachment(s)
This is Gingerbread Rock, I just picked her up today, yes she is under weight, and her feet need to be done, she was rescued a couple of months ago from pretty bad neglect. She is very sweet and likes to be loved on, my grand daughter who's 9 climbed on her bareback and she just stood there, she is supposed to be dead broke, we'll see. I don't thinks she's really that butt high the ground isn't level. Here is her pedigree let me know what you think and if there is anything I need to be aware of.
Gingerbread Rock Paint

csimkunas6 05-10-2012 09:10 PM

First thing that sticks out to me is her back appears to be super long!!!

DraftyAiresMum 05-10-2012 09:17 PM

I can't get over how insanely long her back is! :shock: I think that's the longest back I've ever seen on a horse. O.o

I will say this, though. Other than that incredibly long back, I LOVE the rest of her! Great angles on her legs, nice and clean in front, great shoulder angle, good length neck, nice hip and hind end.

ichliebepferde 05-10-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csimkunas6 (Post 1494863)
First thing that sticks out to me is her back appears to be super long!!!

I was going to say the same thing, dang that back goes on forever, and i'm no horse critiquer or anything!

Endiku 05-10-2012 09:20 PM

Yes, very long back o.o ofcourse that doesn't necessarily mean much...our mare (r.i.p) Delriah had a back nearly as long, and she lived to be fifty years old with no back problems.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...raining041.jpg

At the same time though, it may be harder for her to round herself up and may cause some swaying later on. I'd advise in conditioning her REALLY well before doing anything strenuous, and not putting anyone too heavy on her.

Her right foreleg also looks a bit funny to me. Possibly a bow? Might need some weight too, but mostly muscle. Only time will tell!

ichliebepferde 05-10-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1494879)
Yes, very long back o.o ofcourse that doesn't necessarily mean much...our mare (r.i.p) Delriah had a back nearly as long, and she lived to be fifty years old with no back problems.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...raining041.jpg

At the same time though, it may be harder for her to round herself up and may cause some swaying later on. I'd advise in conditioning her REALLY well before doing anything strenuous, and not putting anyone too heavy on her.

Her right foreleg also looks a bit funny to me. Possibly a bow? Might need some weight too, but mostly muscle. Only time will tell!

fifty!! wowwww!!! That's so awesome!

cmarie 05-10-2012 09:39 PM

Her back is long, and the lady I got her from said she twisted her right front leg yesterday and she's alittle ouchy on it today, she has a slight limp on it, no heat, she hasn't completely shed out yet and still has some winter coat. She does have some TB in her back ground and needs at least 100 lbs on her.

Endiku 05-10-2012 10:59 PM

That would explain it. I knew something wasn't right but wasn't sure what xD She looks like she's due for a good trim too. Her heels look underslung and her toes are long.

good luck with her! She's very cute.

cmarie 05-10-2012 11:11 PM

Her feet were elf shoes, so going to do a little at a time, farrier coming out next week.

stevenson 05-11-2012 02:22 AM

I think once you get some weight on her she will be really cute and that back wont look so long. :) hope her lameness goes away quickly and if she had such long toes then her feet look pretty good now!