The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Confirmed EHV-1 in Tennessee (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/confirmed-ehv-1-tennessee-123027/)

Silent one 05-10-2012 09:18 PM

Confirmed EHV-1 in Tennessee

Some horses that were at the Bucksnort, Tn. trail ride in April have been infected with the EHV-1 virus. Three horses that I know of are dead and many others are sick.

Please be careful traveling with your horses!

State Press Release

• EHV-1 press release‏
http://bl169w.blu169.mail.live.com/mail/clear.gifhttp://bl169w.blu169.mail.live.com/mail/clear.gif
http://bl169w.blu169.mail.live.com/mail/clear.gif

9:12 AM

http://secure.wlxrs.com/$live.contro...s/is/invis.gif Dean Butler

SUSPECTED EQUINE HERPES CASES REPORTED IN TENNESSEE

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee Department of Agriculture has received reports of
suspected cases of Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) infection in horses that participated in a
recent trail ride in Tennessee.

Six to 8 suspected cases of the neurological form of EHV-1 have been reported to the state
veterinarian’s office. Horses are being treated, isolated and monitored by their attending
veterinarian.

The horses may have been exposed to EHV-1 during the Bucksnort Trail Ride held April 23–
30 in Humphreys County. The event drew approximately 100 horses from multiple states. The
movement of horses that attended the event is being restricted on a case by case basis.

TDA animal health officials are working with event organizers, neighboring state veterinarians
and private veterinarians to identify other horses that may have been exposed or are exhibiting
symptoms.

As a precaution, State Veterinarian Charles Hatcher recommends that horse owners who
participated in the Bucksnort event work with their veterinarian to restrict movement and to
monitor their horses. Hatcher also recommends that isolation and monitoring continue for
28 days if any clinical signs of disease are observed. Veterinarians should report suspected
neurological cases of EHV-1 to the State Veterinarian’s office at 615-837-5120.

Equine Herpes Virus is highly contagious among horses but poses no threat to humans. The
symptoms in horses may include a fever, nasal discharge, wobbly gait, hind-end weakness,
dribbling of urine and diminished tail tone. The virus is easily spread by airborne transmission,
horse-to-horse contact and by contact with nasal secretions on equipment, tack, feed and other
surfaces. Caretakers can spread the virus to horses if their hands, clothing, shoes or vehicles
are contaminated. The virus can cause aborted foals and can be fatal in some cases.

ELLINGTON AGRICULTURAL CENTER
BOX 40627, NASHVILLE, TN 37204
Tennessee.gov/agriculture

Rascaholic 05-10-2012 10:59 PM

HOLY S*** that is to close to home for comfort! I wonder if any of my family in TN went...

Radiowaves 05-13-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascaholic (Post 1495052)
HOLY S*** that is to close to home for comfort!

Roger that!

I wish I could find accurate information about where the sick/dead horses are. With a hundred horses from who-knows-where attending and then returning to who-knows-where, the infection could be anywhere by now. The doggone stuff is highly contageous and has the ability to travel on human hands, clothes, feed, shoes, tack, buckets, etc. This thing is serious and I hope folks will take every possible precaution to prevent the spread of the disease.

I know that my horses are not going ANYWHERE until this has totally burned itself out. I hope everybody that is in or remotely near the affected area will stay put until it's over.

I pray that no other horses become infected and that all of the ones who have been exposed will skate by and be fine.

shaggy 05-14-2012 03:34 AM

Ugh im so tired of this why does it keep happening in my state! It scares the hell out of me and i have no horsey ppl in my life to help with anything!

Radiowaves 05-14-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1498966)
Ugh im so tired of this why does it keep happening in my state! It scares the hell out of me and i have no horsey ppl in my life to help with anything!

We need a vaccine for this stuff, bad! Anything that has to be isolated and then just allowed to burn itself out bothers me a lot....

Plus, it is so incredibly contageous....

shaggy 05-14-2012 04:27 AM

i know it scares cause I'm only 3 hours from nashville but on the up side my horses never leave the property there on except for a little trail ride up the road the other day cause i got tired of circling the field. luckily theres not any other horse near the part of the road i rode on. but it still makes me nervous.

RhondaLynn 05-14-2012 11:38 AM

I am very interested in any and all info on this.. We are/were planning to go to Circle E in Belvidere at the end of this month. I am worried about whether we should go or not.

I know there were confirmed cases from the Bucksnort organized trailride, but I wonder how worried I should be going to a different site to ride. On the one hand.. I think better safe than sorry, and on the other hand... well I just don't know.

Any of you folks who hear anything that is True. .please keep us informed.

Rhonda

Radiowaves 05-14-2012 11:56 AM

The problem is that there were over a hundred horses at Bucksnort. How would you ever be sure that none of them would be, or would have recently been where you are going. The diseases is HIGHLY contageous and can spread on inanimate objects as well as through human hands, clothes, the bottom of shoes and even just through the air from one horse to another. Is the risk of your partner's life worth one trail ride?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhondaLynn (Post 1499350)
I am very interested in any and all info on this.. We are/were planning to go to Circle E in Belvidere at the end of this month. I am worried about whether we should go or not.

I know there were confirmed cases from the Bucksnort organized trailride, but I wonder how worried I should be going to a different site to ride. On the one hand.. I think better safe than sorry, and on the other hand... well I just don't know.

Any of you folks who hear anything that is True. .please keep us informed.

Rhonda

Posted via Mobile Device

RhondaLynn 05-14-2012 12:02 PM

Radio--that is what I am thinking.. I was hoping I was wrong in my thoughts...
Hubby and I will probably just go on trails rides ALONE and avoid anyone else where we go.. we usually go in the Cohutta Wilderness area and never see other horses..
I just hate to miss going to Circle E but my horses are definately the first priority! I just wish the state of Tennesse would make some decisions and let people KNOW..

Rhonda

Ne0n Zero 05-14-2012 12:13 PM

Wow.. I live up in Erie, PA and the barn Beau is at is pretty secluded; just a private boarding barn, no lessons or horses being trailered in from anywhere or anything, but since it says horses came in from multiple states, this makes even me nervous ._.

These outbreaks are scary. I wish everyone the best.