The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Dewormer... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/dewormer-123039/)

CLaPorte432 05-10-2012 10:57 PM

Dewormer...

One of my geldings is rubbing the top of his tail. He's missing quite a bit of hair now. His sheeth is clean. He was dewormed with Ivermectin 2 months ago and my horses are all due for deworming again. I typically go back and forth between Ivermectin and Pyrantal every 8 weeks.

What types of worms *could* cause the tail rubbing? (So I know what to pick up tomorrow for deworming)

I've never had to deal with tail rubbing before and since his sheeth is recently cleaned and I don't see any fungus growth, I'm thinking it could be related to his deworming procedure.

Delfina 05-10-2012 11:12 PM

Get a fecal done... that'l tell you exactly what worms he has. They aren't expensive and most Vets are fine with you dropping off a sample in a baggie instead of paying a farm call for them to come get one.

shaggy 05-10-2012 11:24 PM

pinworms can cause tail rubbing. One of my boys rubbed his tail really bad when he was stalled but after i wormed him he was fine.

Skyseternalangel 05-10-2012 11:27 PM

Just a side note, spraying listerine on the top of the tail (where the rubbing is) will soothe it for your horse.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 05-10-2012 11:43 PM

Pinworms would be the most likely culprit.

Curly got them from our neighbours horse when he was in their paddock and mutilated her tail, after worming her and putting quit-itch lotion on her tail daily she was fine.

2SCHorses 05-11-2012 09:31 AM

Just had this problem w/my POA cross. We used Equibits from Safeguard because he's a nightmare to paste and he's better now. We just got him so the vet had us do a 5 day purge, but he had bad worm belly, too. We used Chlorahexidrine on his itchy butt and it worked well. So I know Safeguard works. Think the ingredient is called ... Fenbendazole or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device