The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   which one and where to buy a 5 star pad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/one-where-buy-5-star-pad-123042/)

newbierider 05-10-2012 11:01 PM

which one and where to buy a 5 star pad?

I have a round skirt circle y saddle,

which cut do you think is best and why?

which thickness 7/8 or 1 inch and why?

best place to buy as in "best deal"

I had been using an equipedic which i really liked and has lasted 2 years but I am ready to buy a new pad and have heard nothing but goo things about the 5 star pads.

thanks all!

iridehorses 05-11-2012 07:28 AM

I went back and forth in my head as to which size to buy as well. I ended up with the 1" because of the time and type of riding I do.

I considered that I mostly trail ride which involves a good deal of hills and, at times, mountains as well as 4 hours in the saddle. Considering my weight (~196lb) and my ranch style Western saddle, I wanted the little extra that the 1" gave me.

If all the riding I did was barrels and some hacking, then the 7/8" would be fine. As far as where to buy the pad, I bought at my local tack shop. The price was right around the price anywhere else, there was no shipping costs, and I wanted my local shop to have the business. At the cost of the 5 Star, an extra few dollars were better spent to keep my local store in business.

franknbeans 05-11-2012 08:08 AM

I actually got the 3/4" because I like to use a pad over it. I am, however, going to get a 1" for the days I am lazy about the other "pretty" pad. Shape wise-not sure. I have the butterfly (close contact) but my saddle is also a somewhat butterfly skirt. I would look at the 5 star site and see which one you think will fit your saddle the best.
- 5star Equine Products

I bought mine online, since I have no local dealers.......they are even sold on ebay. So, wherever you can get the best deal, I would say.

You will LOVE it. THey are great pads.