The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Jumping horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/jumping-horse-123048/)

caseymyhorserocks 05-10-2012 11:41 PM

Jumping horse?

Could someone look at this video and tell me what you think of her jumping? This is not my horse- but a horse I am probably going down to visit. The owner is very honest, and she says that she is not yet a finished show prospect but should easily catch up. "Dancing" just turned 8, she is 16.1 and priced at $5500. I see a nice long jump, and a quite a bit of energy and a bit of head tossing. It is 2.6 - 2.9 and this is her second jumping show, although the owner said she can be a bit lazy sometimes. I am looking for a horse I can jump with, although I do know how to jump, I dont regularly have a horse to jump. There are more videos of her on the channel on the flat.

Thanks!

AlexS 05-11-2012 01:34 PM

She just looks green to me and eager to go. But goodness what a price tag - I believe that she is about $2500 overpriced.

equiniphile 05-11-2012 03:01 PM

Wayyy overpriced in my opinion. I agree with Alexs, but I wouldn't pay more than 2k for her. With work, I think she could be a pretty nice jumper, but right now she's not a $5500 jumper.

Corporal 05-11-2012 03:03 PM

Definitely a little handful. That rider worked the whole course. Too $pricey. For THAT$, I want a more pleasant ride.

caseymyhorserocks 05-11-2012 11:23 PM

She is actually well priced for our area. For a well trained nothing special (jumping) horse you have to pay at LEAST 10k.. Which is way over my budget. West coast jumping sales sucks. I am going to go down to visit the horse, just wondering on her jump. Also- some HF'ers and myself believe the head tossing is due to not much release over the jumps.

NittanyEquestrian 05-18-2012 11:19 PM

I would be concerned about how deep she gets to fences and that she doesn't use her front end at all (knees, legs, head, neck, etc) over the fence. She does not appear very scopey and appears to lack a lot of basic flat work and has very little if any adjustability. For that price I would definitely pass. Buy something unstarted and cheaper and find a knowledgeable trainer to start it correctly. That would be a better use of your $5500 IMHO.

Celeste 05-19-2012 09:58 AM

At least she is willing to move forward.

Valentina 05-23-2012 03:31 PM

I saw an obviously green horse very unsure of herself which was running and fighting the rider since horse was uncomfortable with jumping.

I stopped video as she was going over jumps to get a better idea. She tucks her front legs nicely. I'd like to see her bring her knnes up more BUT like my mare she might do that once the jumps get bigger.

She gets in too close - hence needs rider (and ground poles) to help her learn to better position herself to the jump.

She also needs a LOT of groundwork before going back to jumping. She is blowing through the half halts and tossing her head in the air to evade the action of the bit so she doesn't have to slow down.

If she's a WB that may be part of the higher price in Cal.

If I purchased her I'd go back to dressage basics and re-establish (or teach mare about) half halts, then when finally ready to start jumping again I would jump one small jump and ask for a halt - to teach mare not to run and start pushing mare more on her butt that her forehand, as it is now.

Selene Mia 05-23-2012 03:33 PM

Bareback jumping

Hi

I am very interested in learning this properly, so any tips and handy hints would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Selene

caseymyhorserocks 05-27-2012 06:51 PM

I visited her today and decided that I would like a better trained horse. I visited a different horse also yesterday but she was a little sour. Back to the search.. Oh and she is pure TB.