The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   8 Week Old Foal Sleeps Alot...Normal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/8-week-old-foal-sleeps-alot-123053/)

SunnyD 05-11-2012 12:53 AM

8 Week Old Foal Sleeps Alot...Normal?

I have an eight week old Philly. In most ways she seems to be a healthy, vibrant little thing. All her vitals seem fine, she has good coloring in her eyes and gums, she's spunky, and friendly, and just all around magnificent... however, I have one concern-She sleeps A LOT. Every once in a while she gets up and runs around (and she's very fast when she does) When I'm out there with them she is very lively and friendly, but if she is out in the field with little to no entertainment she's just sleeping (or atleast laying down). She's always been like this, but I became alarmed today when a complete stranger who had stopped by to admire them said that he had observed them for some time and that my philly was noticably more "lazy" than the other philly out in another pasture that is practically the same age, I started to worry. With all that said-- thoughts?

faye 05-11-2012 03:25 AM

please note it is Filly not Philly.

Anyway where is this little filly's mum?
TBH if all else is well I wouldnt worry unduely, some youngsters are just lazy, or if she is growing fast it will take a lot out of her!

PaintHorseMares 05-11-2012 08:05 AM

Foals do sleep a lot. If you want, check at night. With the weather very warm this year, all the horses are already pretty lazy during the day and active at night.

KennyRogersPaints 05-11-2012 08:44 AM

I wouldn't fret, growing babies spend lots of time sleeping, even my 3 year old will spend a few hours sleeping a day if she is really going through a growth suprt.
Posted via Mobile Device

candandy49 05-11-2012 09:36 AM

I am another to say "not to worry" about the filly sleeping a lot. It is perfectly normal for them to nap often and sometimes a lot. As long as the baby acts full of energy when she is awake, nursing normally, bright eyed and full of spunkiness she is a normal youngster.

As with human infants when they are in a growth spurt they tend to sleep more and sometimes eat slightly less. Then they will revert to seemingly be an endless pit with a huge appetite.

I raised 3 foals out of my QH mare and each one had different eating/sleeping routines.

Enjoy your mare's and their babies!!!

SueNH 05-11-2012 05:48 PM

Watch very young human babies, puppies, kittens...they all sleep bunches. Totally normal. Like people babies soon you will be wondering when is she going to take a nap. Enjoy it. They are only little for a short time.