The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   How do you get into showing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/how-do-you-get-into-showing-123107/)

mangomelon 05-11-2012 04:21 PM

How do you get into showing?

I want to compete with my horse but I have absolutely no idea where to start? I know nothing about showing horses.... Does anybody have any tips? :)

JumpingJiminy 05-11-2012 05:10 PM

What discipline?

mangomelon 06-23-2012 07:35 PM

Reining is what I really want to do but I live in Portland, Oregon and it doesn't seem like a lot of people are into Western events here besides trail riding...

waresbear 06-23-2012 07:49 PM

Reining is something you need someone to teach you and once you find a reining instructor/trainer, they will steer you in the direction of where to compete, how to prepare etc. I show open, all around, I got into it because I had an instructor who coached for preparation of horse shows. Even if you know how to rein, you still need a coach/instructor, every reiner I know does.

mangomelon 06-24-2012 12:47 PM

Okay how would you find a good reining instructor? I have a trainer right now who helped me with groundwork and stuff when I first got my horse but I don't think she gets very deep into any specific event. I know my horse was trained to be a Reiner and that's what I'd like to do with him but I'm not sure where to go next...
Posted via Mobile Device

spurstop 06-24-2012 05:20 PM

Go to a show and meet trainers there.

mangomelon 06-24-2012 07:53 PM

That would be a great idea... If I could find a show around here. It's all English and I'd like to do western....
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-24-2012 08:11 PM

Look online for associations & clubs in your area. I don't know how your area operates, but in BC, Canada, we have a horse council where it comes with the national Equestrian Canada affiliation & certifications. I just comb their website & find trainers in which discipline I am interested in & go from there.