The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Due for a trim. Where would you go with them? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/due-trim-where-would-you-go-123191/)

Rascaholic 05-12-2012 04:30 PM

Due for a trim. Where would you go with them?

10 Attachment(s)
This is Rascal, well the bottom side of him. 7 yr old TWH currently a pasture puff coming back into work. Pictures are labeled right front 1 etc.
1-straight shot
2- side shot
3-bottom shot

This will be in 2 posts. Uploaded max 10 images per post. This is 6 weeks into the trim and working to fix a lot of mistakes.

Rascaholic 05-12-2012 04:35 PM

2nd part

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the last set, this is the twisted leg. 4 pictures so you can see the hoof distortion.

I know they are big pictures, but I wanted the details to show. I'll take any others needed, just let me know.

loosie 05-14-2012 02:41 AM

Hm, be interesting to see some whole horse pics, esp of the 'twisted' leg. Also some different angles of the feet off the ground. As he's well due for a trim, interested to see the finished job too.

Very basically, it looks like there is probably little to trim at the ground surface, aside from a bit of heel height, esp on fronts which look underrun too, but there is a lot of flare/separation to address. I'd keep the toes well backed/rolled, quarters similar & I'd clean/cut out those seedy areas & see what you've got.

I would probably want this horse on a 3-4 weekly scedule, at least for the next couple of trims, and managing/treating the seedy in between farrier visits will be important. Once you have successfully addressed the problems, then the farrier will be able to tell you what an appropriate maintenance schedule is - most horses can't afford to go much over 6 weeks between trimming & tend to benefit from more frequently.

Rascaholic 05-14-2012 08:41 AM

Thanks Loosie. He was due on 5-7-2012 so is a week past his 6 week. I'm not happy about having to wait another week....

His confo pics are in this thread:
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conf...decent-119779/

There are a couple of his feet 4 months into ownership. Here:
http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/...f-wall-120988/

They were awful when I got him. Much worse than they are now.

I specifically asked if he had any signs of WLD or anything the last time the farrier was out.....This just might get complicated if he does show "seedy toe" "WLD" or any of the other dozen names for the separation I thought we had under control and done with.

I swear if I had the time I'd be going to Farrier School. It's so complicated!!! I envy anyone with the education and certification to tend their own horses feet.

Do you see the thrush started? I was wondering if anyone had picked it up?

ETA: I'll try to get a couple good pictures of him on the concrete and squared later today. I wasn't thinking about him being in the soft pasture when I took the confo shots. DUHHHH. The right hind is the twisted leg. It shows clearly in the pictures. He has pelvic issues that caused the twisting.

Rascaholic 05-14-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascaholic (Post 1499104)
Thanks Loosie. He was due on 5-7-2012 so is a week past his 6 week. I'm not happy about having to wait another week....

This should be 5 week*

loosie 05-14-2012 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascaholic (Post 1499104)
I specifically asked if he had any signs of WLD or anything the last time the farrier was out.....This just might get complicated if he does show "seedy toe" "WLD" or any of the other dozen names for the separation I thought we had under control and done with.

OK, perhaps it is under control, but IME this sort of separation goes hand in hand with seedy. I would certainly keep up preventative treatment until you can get good hoof form & attachment. Yes, BTW, did notice thrushy frogs. Was going to comment that while I think it's great the farrier obviously doesn't go in for routine/over trimming of frogs, IMO it's best if those flappy bits were trimmed off, considering thrush.

Quote:

The right hind is the twisted leg. It shows clearly in the pictures. He has pelvic issues that caused the twisting.
Yes, I can see that it's not quite right, but from those pics, it seems that both hinds are cow hocked & turned out a bit far? And what of the right fore? Is that as turned out(entire leg or at least from knee?) as it appears? His fores both appear a bit valgus from the fetlocks too?

With the body imbalances, you're unlikely to get his feet looking nice & square, so I'd be focussing mainly on keeping them well balanced in relation to the sole plane & rolled to address those flares.

I'm thinking you can see how stretched the front feet are(backs maybe a little stretched at the toe too, but hard to tell without more info/being there), but have included a couple of marked pics. The sole shot shows where I estimate the sole goes to, with the green line showing approx where I'd start a strong bevel in order to relief force on the walls to allow good attachement to grow down. The side shot shows approx where I'd trim the toe to encourage this.

Rascaholic 05-14-2012 11:15 PM

Thanks Loosie. I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures as I said I would. It has rained here all day. We had a little dry time and I got him out, cleaned him up a bit. Then did his hooves. As I did the last one the bottom fell out LOL. He went back in the pasture soaked, and I came in the house soaked.