The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Help! i have a sick hen (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/help-i-have-sick-hen-123195/)

Alfie92 05-12-2012 05:11 PM

Help! i have a sick hen

hi there, for the last two days i have noticed one of my hens has not been right, she seems to be really down and sound like she has mucus on her chest, she doesnt move about much either is this a common problem? any help would be great thanks

GreySorrel 05-14-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfie92 (Post 1497108)
hi there, for the last two days i have noticed one of my hens has not been right, she seems to be really down and sound like she has mucus on her chest, she doesnt move about much either is this a common problem? any help would be great thanks

Can you talk to a vet in your area that may be able to help you with getting a powder antibiotic and mixing it with a gallon of water? That is what we have done in the past to help as it sounds as if your hen may have a cold or respiratory infection. Maybe also, google avian vets in Europe or England, they are very well versed on helping chickens due to the over abundance of battery hens there.

Also, maybe some electrolytes in her water or a nutrient drench, again mixed with her water. Try to see if she will eat some scrambled eggs, the proteins are very good for them and help boost their energy some, so is cottage cheese.

kindredspirit 05-24-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreySorrel (Post 1499771)
Can you talk to a vet in your area that may be able to help you with getting a powder antibiotic and mixing it with a gallon of water? That is what we have done in the past to help as it sounds as if your hen may have a cold or respiratory infection. Maybe also, google avian vets in Europe or England, they are very well versed on helping chickens due to the over abundance of battery hens there.

Also, maybe some electrolytes in her water or a nutrient drench, again mixed with her water. Try to see if she will eat some scrambled eggs, the proteins are very good for them and help boost their energy some, so is cottage cheese.

I agree. Does sound like a respiratory issue at hand.

BoldComic 06-25-2012 12:53 AM

How is the chicken? Any change? This prob won't sound helpful but if it's not better by now it might be better to cull her. You don't want it spreading to any others and vets for chickens are expensive. Let us know how she is or what has happened.

Alfie92 06-25-2012 09:48 AM

Hi, sorry i havent posted back.
Yes the hen has made a full recovery shes back to her self after all.
Thank you for the advice!

GreySorrel 06-25-2012 09:16 PM

What were you able to do for your hen? And SO glad that you had a good outcome.

barrelbeginner 06-30-2012 03:32 PM

give her some milk:) i went to a chicken class.. i didnt read your post but you said she wasnt acting normal.. milk will perk up a chicken:) ive used it myself

Alfie92 07-02-2012 09:27 AM

i found out that she had an impacted crop so i gave her olive oil and massaged the crop for the food to pass and gave her some natural yogurt to get some vitamins in to her