The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Bit Recommendations (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/bit-recommendations-123307/)

smilin1590 05-13-2012 08:16 PM

Bit Recommendations

Right now I use a slow twist full cheek snaffle on my pony, but I'm looking for a downgrade. I think it may be a little too strong for him. I do eventing, so I'm either looking for a bit that can work in all 3 phases, or if you have suggestions for separate bits for jumping and dressage. THANKS!

princecharming 05-13-2012 08:23 PM

i think a logical move mould be to switch to a snaffle full cheek. with no twist, BUT whatever you do...make sure your bit is legal. :) good luck!

kcscott85 05-13-2012 10:15 PM

I use the myler loose ring snaffle (level 1) for all three phases on my TB. He's very sensitive in his mouth though, and doesn't need a lot. Bitting is always trial and error- I've owned him for a year now, and just now finding a bit that clicks with him!

Strange 05-14-2012 11:48 AM

I also agree that you might want to just try a regular full cheek snaffle and see how he goes in that.

It's legal in all three phases. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2012 11:57 AM

Yeah try a full cheek plain snaffle or even go for a three joint bit like french or oval link.

Goosey 05-21-2012 02:21 AM

I have my horse in a french link full cheek, and he does amazingly in it, he has a very soft mouth

xJumperx 05-30-2012 11:46 PM

I have the same bit as Goosey. I personally don't like single joints.... less clear communication, and nutcracker action. If I could afford a Myler, id be all over it. But imma broke :p So I'm just a three jointed bit kinda gal.

MudPaint 06-02-2012 01:26 PM

I switch between a baucher and a loose ring snaffle. I had used the boucher to step my horse down from a kimberwick (which he loved but is not legal). The Baucher applies similar pole pressure and has a slight lever action. I now only need if for XC on course where there is a lot of whoa needed. It is dressage legal, but not a very common bit.

If your horse needs the full cheek support, than perhaps a double jointed snaffle would work. D rings come with a variety of mouth pieces as well and also offer similar support.

Enjoy playing musical bits.

Sunny 06-02-2012 02:25 PM

MP, I feel the need to point out that a Baucher does not, in fact, use poll pressure.

In order for something to have leverage there needs to be a point above the fulcrum (mouthpiece) and a point below.

A Baucher has a point above, the purchase, but no point below, which would be a shank or a slot, like in a Kimberwicke.

If you watch a video of someone riding with a Baucher, you'll see that if they pull back with enough force there will be slack in the cheekpieces, making any poll pressure impossible.

The only way it could have leverage would be if somehow the rein got caught below the mouthpiece, which shouldn't happen since the rings are round.

The point of a Baucher is to promote stability in the horses mouth, which is what the purchase does. That's what makes it so nice for young or mouthy horses.

My all time favorite bit is a french link loose ring, but all of the movement makes my 4 YO very nervous so she goes very happily in her Baucher which, like I said, does not apply any leverage.
Posted via Mobile Device

kindraeventing 06-10-2012 12:21 PM

I run XC and SJ in a french link full cheek snaffle with bit keepers. The keepers attach to the top of the bit and go to the cheekpiece of your bridle, effectively stabilizing the bit in your horse's mouth. They give you a tiny amount of leverage, and I find that my mare really likes it. The french link works great for horses with small mouths, but an oval mouthpiece is nice too for a horse with a larger mouth. I'd suggest that you try something like that out and see how your horse does.