The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Tack Trunk (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/tack-trunk-123318/)

juliann95 05-13-2012 09:18 PM

Tack Trunk

I am about to get my first tack trunk, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. It does not have have to be wooden, in fact I was looking for recommendations on something more plastic(y). If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I would love to hear them!

equiniphile 05-13-2012 09:22 PM

Start looking around on craigslist or at yard sales. I found four wooden trunks covered in whicker (SP?) for a steal at a yard sale. Dover has some nice ones, but they're pricey.

Oxer 05-13-2012 11:57 PM

stateline tack (statelinetack.com) has some synthetic tack trunks that are light, weather proof, and built with the same dimensions as the regular show trunks. I bought a synthetic about 2 weeks ago, and although my trainer is causing a fuss because it ruins her aesthetic... i like that it can be easily cleaned, and was only about $100.

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2012 01:48 AM

Look here

Med. Steel Trunk w/ wheels & plate [M-ST-WP] - $160.85 : Trunks & Footlockers, Storage Trunk, Metal Footlockers, Storage Chest Trunk, Coffee Tables, Tack Trunks, Treasure Chests, Military Footlocker

They can be wood, steel, aluminum.. some have wheels, name plate, and are finished.

Much cheaper than going the horse-website/store route.

Delfina 05-14-2012 02:49 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Tack-Trunk-Tote-Tray/dp/B000PU598I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336978026&sr=8-2
Holds a TON of stuff but is easily carried.

Wood trunks are nice but mice chew on them, both my old trainer (whom I board with) and I have blue ones, hers is on one side of the crossties, mine is on the other. Easy to dust off or wash and hey, ours match! LOL

kitten_Val 05-15-2012 12:45 PM

I got a huge black plastic tool box in my local Walmart several years ago (you can lock it too). I paid something like $60 or $70 for it, and it accommodates my stuff (I'm not sure if Western saddle would fit in though - I never tried it).

WesternJake 05-15-2012 05:24 PM

A couple 4-Hers in my club got some lockable sturdy plastic trunks for $20 a piece at Wal-Mart (not sure if you have one in your area or not! LOL) and they are decent sized for the small stuff (blankets, brushes, bridles, etc.). I am going to have to get myself a larger tack box and I loved the ones they had since they could lock.

Emily

littleredridinghood 05-15-2012 08:51 PM

Yep! 20 dollar foot locker at Walmart and it holds all my stuff...other than blankets, saddles, and pads, but that I just store in the tack room. I love it! And it locks!

KarrotKreek 05-15-2012 11:08 PM

I like the Burlington upright trunk. It's plastic, can hold one to two saddles plus other equipment. But it's pricey new. However they sometimes come up used on eBay or Craigslist.

Appropriate recommendations depend on what you will be storing in the trunk, if you need it to be moveable or will it be stationary, and how secure does it need to be?

penningtonfarms 10-25-2012 05:25 PM

I got a custom tack trunk 20 years ago and was able to refurbish it with new vinyls. It look new now. I got my value out of this trunk from Tacktrunks.net.