The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   Show Genetics- Foal's Worth (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/show-genetics-foals-worth-123326/)

BloomingLilies 05-13-2012 09:49 PM

Show Genetics- Foal's Worth

Hello:D,
I am going to breed my mare soon.
- My mare has 2 horses in the Top Ten for APHA. (1st and 5th)
-The Stallion has 1 ancestor from the Top Ten. (10th)
My question is, how much will the foal be worth, since some of these lines are rare, and since the foal will have 3 relatives in the Top Ten for Paint horses?
(The price would be for a 8 month foal)
Thanks so much!:D:D:D:D:D:D

CLaPorte432 05-13-2012 10:16 PM

No one can even begin to answer that question.

And if your breeding to make money, don't. LoL, You'll be lucky to barely break even after stud fees, vet fees, feed for mare/foal etc.

There are way to many variables to answer this question. Just because the foal will have 3 top ten APHA horses in her pedigree doesn't mean squat unless those are the lines people are looking for. I do a lot of looking at horses online and many have great horses in their pedigrees and they are going for next to nothing right now.

It all depends on the foal. The color, the gender, the training level, the disposition, the athleticism, the trainability, the show record, the potential and yes, the pedigree.

It also depends on the economy. Right now isn't the time to be breeding horses to sell. There are SOOO many of them out there right now that needs homes and aren't finding them because many people can't afford horses at this point in time.

Ontop of that, you have to hit the right person. Just because you produce what you think is a great foal, doesn't mean other people are going to think its great and pay what your asking. You have to breed for what's hot on the market right now and unfortunately if you don't reach that market, you might have a yearling, then a 2 year old, then a 3 year old on your hands. Or it'll be selling for dirt cheap.

themacpack 05-13-2012 10:22 PM

I see you talking about what the stallion and mare's ancestors have done - but nothing about what the mare and stallion themselves have done. Bloodlines are not the be-all/end-all of the worth and value of a horse - and most people are going to look at the actual parents FIRST and the rest of the family tree after that.

Ripper 05-14-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloomingLilies (Post 1498628)
Hello:D,
I am going to breed my mare soon.
- My mare has 2 horses in the Top Ten for APHA. (1st and 5th)
-The Stallion has 1 ancestor from the Top Ten. (10th)
My question is, how much will the foal be worth, since some of these lines are rare, and since the foal will have 3 relatives in the Top Ten for Paint horses?
(The price would be for a 8 month foal)
Thanks so much!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Any horse is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

BloomingLilies 05-14-2012 01:00 PM

Thanks,
A person at a show was interested in my mare's foal. That is the reason I am asking for a price.
Thanks everyone for all your time and advice!

Ripper 05-14-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloomingLilies (Post 1499483)
Thanks,
A person at a show was interested in my mare's foal. That is the reason I am asking for a price.
Thanks everyone for all your time and advice!

You have a foal out at a show already???

I was never ready until mid to late June.

BloomingLilies 05-14-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 1499492)
You have a foal out at a show already???

I was never ready until mid to late June.

Yes, May/June was always a great time for showing. The lady was interested in my Mare's pregnancy.

cowboy bowhunter 05-14-2012 02:31 PM

Only having 3 relitives that showed isnt much. I like to see the Sire have won, and has PE. And same for the Dam.
I have seen foals that have a pedgree with over $3 million earnings.

Ripper 05-14-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy bowhunter (Post 1499616)
Only having 3 relitives that showed isnt much. I like to see the Sire have won, and has PE. And same for the Dam.
I have seen foals that have a pedgree with over $3 million earnings.

It depends one where and how they were shown.

They are many ways to earn money and many things that don't pay.

For me I mostly showed my babies at halter.

But, many of them went on to win big.......however, not much in money.

cowboy bowhunter 05-14-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 1499625)
It depends one where and how they were shown.

They are many ways to earn money and many things that don't pay.

For me I mostly showed my babies at halter.

But, many of them went on to win big.......however, not much in money.

Ok ill put it different. Ill use my mare. She in her first 3 generation. there is only has $643,600 but there are 10 out of 14 that are money earners, and 3 that dont have earnings have PE. over $25,000. (One of which has PE. of 439,000)