The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Homemade flyspray? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/homemade-flyspray-123358/)

Cowgirls Boots 05-14-2012 09:04 AM

Homemade flyspray?

125 Attachment(s)
I know there is alot of homemade remedies online for home made flyspray but which ingredients do you Guys use to make yours? I want something effective and some thing that doesn't sent my wallet :wink: some of the fly sprays I've seen are upwards of $20+! So please share your homemade remedies!
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternBella 05-14-2012 09:30 AM

Quick Fly Spray
18 oz white vinegar
2 Tbsp dish washing soap.
Mix in a 20 oz spray bottle and shake gently until well blended. You may add water to dilute.* Spray liberally on your horse

15 oz water
5 oz commercial fly spray ( any brand)
5 oz vinegar
2 oz vegetable oil
2 oz green Dawn dish soap

3 cups of water
(one quarter) cup sugar
(one quarter) cup white vinegar

Fly Spray Recipes
Posted via Mobile Device

littleredridinghood 05-14-2012 01:17 PM

I use 32 oz of white vinegar with 3 tbsp original scent dawn soap. Works wonderful

Joe4d 05-14-2012 01:31 PM

you dont need homemade stuff of questionalbe usefullness. Never buy premade flyspray. You are paying for water. Order the concentrates. Like this : Farnam Repel-Xp Concentrate - Horse.com

A quart of that makes a couple gallons of fly spray.

JanetsPaintedRayne 05-14-2012 06:53 PM

This may be a dumb questions but the dish soap doesn't irritate the horses skin? Or is there just not enough in there to matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

littleredridinghood 05-15-2012 04:38 PM

I haven't noticed an irritation on my horse from the soap, but I also rinse him off every day, let him dry and then apply a fresh coat so there isn't a build up of residue on his skin

CLaPorte432 05-15-2012 05:05 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Repel XP is amazing! One bottle of that lasts me all through fly season. Well worth the $30.

OwnedByAlli 05-15-2012 05:15 PM

Garlic!! Buy it in bulk and its cheeper. I love the stuff and it cant get washed off by the beautiful cumbrian summer weather :) Apparently marmite is good too, but the flies are attracted to it before it gets inside them which makes for fliy meal times :/ Garlic minimises the need for sprays so I can get away with cheep stuff when others can't . Smells a bit mind...

Calming Melody 05-20-2012 02:14 AM

I have always heard of just mixing vinegar and water

Jierda 05-20-2012 07:43 AM

Try looking up Zephyr's Garden on facebook/google. She has developed a whole line of natural products for her own horses, and started selling them to people later. She also has a fly spray that according to many people works wonders - look it up and see what ingredients are in it (as far as I know, apple cider vinegar and a bunch of essential oils). On facebook or in the conversation archives on her website should also be a discussion about fly sprays, if I remember right. It would be well worth to look up.