The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Frozen Semen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/frozen-semen-123366/)

Kayella 05-14-2012 11:13 AM

Frozen Semen?

Morning everyone!

So as some of you may know, I'll be getting a weanling at the end of August. Henny is three weeks old today, and I'm trying to plan for his future. He's got nice bloodlines, and looks to be a promising little boy. If he is stud quality months on down the road, I'd like for him to carry on his bloodlines. But there are very few places around here that accept stallions, so I may have to geld him at two if we do not have our own land by then. Before that happens, I know I could collect semen from him and freeze it. I need a little more information about that, though. How long will the frozen semen last, and how much is the storage fee at the vet's? This is of course if Henny is of stud quality, and collects a nice show record, so I'm not looking for a lecture on how I shouldn't breed him. If anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!

NdAppy 05-14-2012 11:22 AM

Kayella - Do you have any vets in your area that specialize in equine reproduction? I would talk to them. The people that run this site - Equine Reproduction - are also extremely knowledgeable and would more than likely be able to answer your questions completely.

Kayella 05-14-2012 11:29 AM

Thank you for the tip, NdAppy, I'll be sure to check out that site :)

NdAppy 05-14-2012 11:32 AM

Kayella - I hope that you can get the answers you are looking for. I believe that Kathy, I think that is her name, from Equine Reproduction does have an account on this forum and does stop by everyone once in a while to post. :-)

Ripper 05-14-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 1499206)
Morning everyone!

So as some of you may know, I'll be getting a weanling at the end of August. Henny is three weeks old today, and I'm trying to plan for his future. He's got nice bloodlines, and looks to be a promising little boy. If he is stud quality months on down the road, I'd like for him to carry on his bloodlines. But there are very few places around here that accept stallions, so I may have to geld him at two if we do not have our own land by then. Before that happens, I know I could collect semen from him and freeze it. I need a little more information about that, though. How long will the frozen semen last, and how much is the storage fee at the vet's? This is of course if Henny is of stud quality, and collects a nice show record, so I'm not looking for a lecture on how I shouldn't breed him. If anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!

No one knows what a foal will be as an adult horse.

Cute...yes...aren't they all???

Having a stud is a different game.

Most take it to lightly.

That is why you will see a thread here with horses bought for $41.

Most colts should be geldings......that is my opinion.

I just paid a lot of money for a baby in a three in one package deal. ($45,000)

The foal is now a gelding.

gigem88 05-14-2012 11:39 AM

Thanks NdAppy, I'll have to check that site out, too! Got a little colt myself that I might breed as an adult.

Kayella 05-14-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigem88 (Post 1499248)
Thanks NdAppy, I'll have to check that site out, too! Got a little colt myself that I might breed as an adult.

Frozen semen has been used successfully at 15-20 years old apparently.

I would think frozen semen would be the best way to go. I could get a few collections on him to store then geld him. It's like the best of both worlds.

Ripper 05-14-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 1499286)
Frozen semen has been used successfully at 15-20 years old apparently.

I would think frozen semen would be the best way to go. I could get a few collections on him to store then geld him. It's like the best of both worlds.

At what age can you collect the semen??

Kayella 05-14-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 1499292)
At what age can you collect the semen??

I would assume when the stud is of viability. I guess when they drop, and can pasture breed, then they could be collected and frozen. It's similar to cooled/shipped semen, it's just being frozen and stored instead of cooled and shipped.

Ripper 05-14-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 1499307)
I would assume when the stud is of viability. I guess when they drop, and can pasture breed, then they could be collected and frozen. It's similar to cooled/shipped semen, it's just being frozen and stored instead of cooled and shipped.

Then my question to you would be.....

Are you willing to deal with a stud that long???

Are you will to make his "learning" years more difficult???

Years ago I did this with a colt.

Many people told me to geld him.

I just would not listen.

I saw at all of his AQHA and futurity wins as reason for him to be a stud.

Then his first foal won the fururity in Michigan.

To do it over....he should have been gelded as a foal.