The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   911 CRAZY Horse!! Need Advice!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/911-crazy-horse-need-advice-123367/)

CBailey04 05-14-2012 10:14 AM

911 CRAZY Horse!! Need Advice!!

I just bought a mare on Saturday rode fine, picks up all four feet, good ground manners....on her property with her buddy. She had a little issue getting on the trailer but nothing that couldn't be worked on. She is super sweet loves to be brushed on and lunges great too. We put her in her stall next to our other two to help adjust before turning them out together. Everything fine. Then on Sunday we went to ride our other two and left the new one there, after lunging her for abt 30 min, to still just get settled. She went CRAZY!!! Crazy is actually an understatement!!:shock: Rearing up breaking spindles, slamming her body into the sides of the walls, facing her butt right and the door and cowkicking as hard as she could. I thought she was going to kill herself she did knock her head pretty hard and slowed down for a min, and long enough for me to go in and calm her down. As long as I was in there with her she was fine, the moment I walked out crazy again. Teaching a horse to be okay with something is one thing but she is absolutely belligerent to the point of seriously hurting someone.:cry: So immediatley I thought she's toooo much, but I thought this is probably what everyone has done is beat this poor girl and trade her again and again. So I'm thinking two weeks of work and building trust and getting her adjusted....BUT then I went to ride my old horse to calm my nerves leaving one in the barn so the new one would be ok, and the new one almost came over her door like a pitbull, trying to take a chunk out of my mare:evil:!!!!!!!!! What do I do?????? I can't keep my horses up just to keep her calm and I don't wanna turn her out with my sweet mare because she'll prob kill her.....our other mare rules the roost so i thought abt turning her and the new one out together so my old boss can out her in her place, I just don't wanna risk getting either of them hurt. And what abt when we take only the two and not the new one I'm positive she would run right through the fence:-| She def has been beat on before it seems she's terrified, her whole body was shaking. I feel so bad for her but have no clue what to do:-(

Saranda 05-14-2012 11:40 AM

Get a professional trainer asap.

MangoRoX87 05-14-2012 11:42 AM

Perhaps just keep her turned out, if she has had bad experiences with stalls, it might be way to dangerous for you to deal with.
If she is fine turned out, then I wouldn't worry about it..

Speed Racer 05-14-2012 11:43 AM

You took her away from her buddy and home, and are expecting her to just fit right in? She needs an adjustment time.

It'd be like tearing you away from your family and friends with no warning or explanation, and moving you where you'll never see them again. How can you wonder that she's crazy? She has NO idea what's going on, and no familiar faces to help her through the transition.

For some horses moving on isn't an issue, but for others it's extremely traumatic. She appears to be one of those. If you can, turn her out where she can SEE other horses, but not physically interact with them.

I also seriously doubt she's been abused; she just doesn't like being confined. Why do so many people jump on the 'abused' bandwagon when a horse acts up?

Lakotababii 05-14-2012 12:00 PM

First off, DEEP BREATH! Inhale...Exhale. PHEW!

Okay now think about this rationally. I am building off of what SpeedRacer said.

You have had her only a few days, shes in a stall, new environment, with no one she trusts. Give her some time. Almost ALL horses "freak" when they are moved, unless they are with someone they trust. Just the fact that she calms down when you are with her is a good sign.

The biting your mare thing, of course that is going to happen. If they have not yet worked out their pecking order, they will find ways to harass one another, its how they figure out the herd order.

So take another deep breath. Her behavior is not necessarily out of the ordinary. When I originally purchased my gelding, he tried to bite me, ran through my lead, broke a fence and freaked out BIG time, running around like a maniac, and I hadn't even gotten him in a stall yet! When I moved him late, after MONTHS of working with him to where those bad habits were all gone, he was still a butt (although not nearly as bad) for a few days after the move, coming up with old bad habits. He calmed down with some exercise in a big open pasture and some time to adjust, and went back to remembering his training.

My advice? Put her in a pasture of some sort if possible, or a dry lot where she can move around and get to know her surroundings. IF at all possible, put her NEXT to her soon-to-be pasture mates over a fence. They can work most of it out over a fence. Before letting her free, lead her around the pasture, show her where her fences and boundaries are, and maybe throw her a flake of hay. Stay with her for a little while, let her blow off some steam and go from there.

Keep in mind, some horses are COMPLETELY different in stalls than they are let out to pasture. My mare used to go stir crazy in a stall, but was an angel in the pasture. Just because she is "mean" to the others in a stall doesn't mean she is going to be a complete jerk when she is put to pasture with them.

Give her time, and do not over think it. She is an animal adjusting and she needs time to just work it through in her brain. Don't expect much for a while, but keep working with her to earn her trust as she gets over a stressful time.

AmazinCaucasian 05-14-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1499363)
I also seriously doubt she's been abused; she just doesn't like being confined. Why do so many people jump on the 'abused' bandwagon when a horse acts up?

I agree with this speedracer. It's not just on here. It's everywhere and it's annoying

Lakotababii 05-14-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1499431)
I agree with this speedracer. It's not just on here. It's everywhere and it's annoying

I guess its just much easier to say "Poor thing, he's been abused!" then "My horse is an ass!" :wink:

Truth is, even abused horses need to be disciplined. Abuse does not equal do whatever you want. Abused horses simply need more time, more structure, and more consistent training. They do NOT need to be babied, and in fact it makes them MUCH worse. THEY don't know what "abuse" is, so why should we treat them any differently? They should be trained to what extent they can understand, just like any other horse who hasn't been "abused."

Fingerlakes 05-14-2012 12:50 PM

+1 on the new environment change. She's going to need some time to adjust to her new home. I've also dealt with horses that have also had confinement issues and have never been abused. I brought a new horse home yesterday and you would have thought somewhere along the 120 miles trip home the devil had possesed him. When we got him back he was the total opposite of the quiet, gentle horse that we had seen at the sellers farm... So between the long ride in the trailer, the new surroundings, the other horses he acted like a total different horse.

churumbeque 05-14-2012 12:50 PM

I don't agree with new surroundings and needing adjustment time. How could you ever go to a show or on a trail ride.No horse should go crazy. I expect them to behave and if anything they might be a little depressed with a new home but shouldn't be dangerous. I suspect she may have been drugged and she sounds like she is going to be a problem and someone or another horse may get hurt. Turn her out alone but I wouldn't put the others in danger. I would contact the old owners and get more information.

Lakotababii 05-14-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1499465)
I don't agree with new surroundings and needing adjustment time. How could you ever go to a show or on a trail ride.No horse should go crazy. I expect them to behave and if anything they might be a little depressed with a new home but shouldn't be dangerous. I suspect she may have been drugged and she sounds like she is going to be a problem and someone or another horse may get hurt. Turn her out alone but I wouldn't put the others in danger. I would contact the old owners and get more information.

Horses do not inherently know to behave at shows. If they did, they would never need to practice, or be exposed to so many different things. They need to be TAUGHT to behave in new environments. Thus why green horses have trouble with shows or on trails, they are unsure of what is going on.

And besides, this is WAY different than a show or trail ride. She is not with her old owners, whom she knew. She is not around other horses she knows (as many show horses are brought to shows in groups of their herds, and not on their own) and she does not yet have comfort in her new owner or surroundings. WAY different than going to a show.