The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   bridle path or NO bridle path?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bridle-path-no-bridle-path-123381/)

kuecktr 05-14-2012 12:21 PM

bridle path or NO bridle path??

So, I'm getting ready to take confirmation photos of our 2 year old AQHA Stallion. He's an all working line quarter horse and has a beautiful long mane and tail. My dilemma is: Do I clip a bridle path for the photos or leave it :/ ... I know, it shouldn't be this hard. I just can't decide! haha.. opinions please? :) ... if it helps, there are some photos of him as a yearling on our website: Our Stallion -

Thank you!

rubyred 05-14-2012 12:41 PM

I would cut a short one, so that that area of his mane/neck doesn't look kept or messy.

Caitielyn05 05-14-2012 12:44 PM

I would clip a bridle path. That way it doesn't look messy when you put a bridle or halter on.

Tianimalz 05-14-2012 12:52 PM

I'm also a fan of bridle paths, I think they add a tidy appearance to the horse :-) For stock horses; I enjoy a nice short bridle path, it helps show off their nice necks and clean throat latches and like I said, really just tidies up their look. Gaited horses/fine boned I like the long bridle paths, makes them look more elegant ^_^

PaintedShanty 05-14-2012 12:52 PM

I'd clip a bridle path, but only big enough for the widest piece of equipment you use on him to lay flat, you can always make it bigger, but you have to wait for his mane to grow out to get a smaller one.

Also, just fyi at two he's still a stud colt, he can't (properly) be called a stallion until he reaches physical maturity at about 5.

kuecktr 05-14-2012 01:35 PM

Thank you everyone :) I will be clipping him a nice little bridle path.. I appreciate all of your opinions.

PaintedShanty: I will make sure to reference him as a stud colt and not a stallion :) However, I will keep him listed as "our stallion" on our website due to our intended future with him :)

Hope ya'all have a fabulous Monday :)

cowboy bowhunter 05-15-2012 03:09 PM

If its a working lines i wouldnt clip it. I dont like bridle paths. Let it be natural and dont clip it.
I have not bought horse because they had a big bridle path.

Golden Horse 05-15-2012 03:12 PM

Good choice OP, a nice neat little bridle bath is always OK, well I like them:wink:

Shoebox 05-15-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy bowhunter (Post 1501260)
If its a working lines i wouldnt clip it. I dont like bridle paths. Let it be natural and dont clip it.

I second this. While I see the practicality of it, I think they look silly when no bridle/halter is on.. Just a big chunk of missing mane. When I took a few lessons when I first bought my horse, she clipped a bridle path. I told myself it will grow back, and I'm not going to ever cut one again (Unless I get around to showing and it's required).

CLaPorte432 05-15-2012 03:15 PM

893 Attachment(s)
What a lovely young boy! Super handsome with a nice build.

I agree a small bridle path would look nice. Maybe 2...3 inches at most...