The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Need help on what to feed my 16hh Irish Sports Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/need-help-what-feed-my-16hh-123409/)

Lily Venus 05-14-2012 04:31 PM

Need help on what to feed my 16hh Irish Sports Horse

New horse, old owners feeding twice a day but I would like to cut him down to one feed a day. What should I feed him? Gelding, 16.3hh Irish Sports Horse, living out, good doer. Please help! Any suggestions appreciated!

Shropshirerosie 05-14-2012 04:49 PM

What's he on at the moment?
what condition is he in?
what work will you be doing with him?
how old is he?
where are you?
What's your pasture like?

And then I might make some suggestions :wink:

Pearson 12-15-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie (Post 1499833)
What's he on at the moment?
what condition is he in?
what work will you be doing with him?
how old is he?
where are you?
What's your pasture like?

And then I might make some suggestions :wink:

Hey I have a 16h 6yrold Irish sports gelding living out, he is on 1 round scoop soaked beet pulp, 3/4 round scoop soaked ready mash extra (red label) and half round scoop of chaff 2 feeds per day when ever he is in usually an hour or 2 per day he has full haynet to that he picks at once snow fallshewill get2 nets in the field he is in medium work and heavy rugged. This winter so far he is looking ok he will have a 1/4 scoop of pasturemix added to feed sin the next week or2 as grass is looking bare now. Last winter he had losta lot of condition by this time butthereadymash seems to have helped but I feel he may need more feed once the real cold nights come

Skyseternalangel 12-15-2013 05:56 PM

Horses actually do better with at least 3 meals a day... cutting down to one increases risk of colic due to too much at one time.

However, you can slow feed (or loose feed) hay all day without issues. But grain really should be divided up.

You can always decrease feed if he's at a good weight, or if he needs to cut down.

loosie 12-18-2013 07:59 PM

Hi Lily & welcome,

Agree with SR & Sky, that need more info & also little & often feeding is best, but as a general rule, if he's got pasture/hay - should be at least 2%bwt daily - & he's healthy & a 'good doer', all he'll really need is nutritional supplementation *appropriate to his diet*. So a low dose, low GI 'ration balancer' or such. If it's a small amount & 'low GI', then while little & often is still best, once a day will be fine.

Endiku 12-18-2013 11:08 PM

If you are only wanting to feed once daily, it is critical that he has hay 24/7 (slow feeder net) and that he is being fed less than 5 lbs of grain material daily. If he doesn't have hay all day, you're just asking for ulcers, behavior problems, and boredom. How would you like to only eat once a day? ;)