The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Is this an abscess? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/abscess-123422/)

elkhunter 05-14-2012 07:54 PM

Is this an abscess?

1 Attachment(s)
I noticed the crack in the picture a couple weeks ago ago. The size has increased some, but seems to be stabilized and is not right against the coronet band. Wondering if it is just and abscess working out our something more significant.

Rascaholic 05-14-2012 07:58 PM

That would concern me. The horizontal crack is bad enough, but the vertical coming from the coronet band isn't a good thing either. What did your farrier say?

elkhunter 05-14-2012 08:03 PM

I usually do my own horses, so I don't have a regular farrier, but the first guy that looked at him thought it was an abscess or broken bar. He recommended modifying a shoe with a cross bar then cutting off the heal to take weight off that part of the hoof

AmazinCaucasian 05-14-2012 08:05 PM

trauma at the coronary band that's growing out. probably on hind foot and probably didn't show up at all until it was 1/2 inch under the hairline

GreySorrel 05-14-2012 09:09 PM

If you can get some, and I do this on occasion with my draft hooves as they have done this, if you can get your hands on some bee's wax, shave off enough or a good chunk, get it nice and soft and pliable, then work it with your fingers by pushing it as deep into the crack as possible. The honey has an antibacterial property to it as well as healing properties and it will protect the hole from dirt and rocks.

If you don't have any or need some, shoot me a pm as I have a box full and can send you some, that is, if you want it.

bntnail 05-15-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter (Post 1500007)
. Wondering if it is just and abscess working out our something more significant.

IS? No.

Was? Most likely.

Shoers plan is a place to start.