The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Having to make a hard decision... May be selling my boy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/having-make-hard-decision-may-selling-123428/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-14-2012 07:52 PM

Having to make a hard decision... May be selling my boy

I found out the other night, I honestly don't have anything I can do with my colt until November. So I'm pretty much having to sell him, and it mashes me very sad. I won't have anywhere to keep him until November when I can afford board.

What I'm gonna do is take the money I get from him and put it back to get another horse once I can afford board. I'm gonna miss him because I know he's gonna make a great horse. But he really isn't what I need anyway. As much as I'd love to have him as a trail horse, that's 2 years from now. I just can't wait that long really.

Anyway, what should I be thinking about between now and when I buy another horse? I wanna do it right this time and really get a horse that really clicks with me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Samstead 05-15-2012 01:49 AM

is it possile to lease him to somone until then and they keep him at their barn/ I'm not sure how that would work but it's an idea. I really hope you don't have to sell your horse!

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-15-2012 10:57 AM

I don't see why anyone would lease him because he's only a year, there's nothing anyone could do with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-15-2012 11:33 AM

PLEASE try to lease him. Well trained horses available to ride during the peak of the season are hard to come by, judging by all of the "I got hurt _______" posts from newbies we keep getting.
When "Corporal" was 5yo, I had a money problem. He was the LEAST trained of my string and I gave him to a student who had just won a 3yo Arabian in a local contest, but her gelding wasn't broken yet. ONE YEAR LATER, I get a call from an interested buyer, who said the "Laura" told them to call ME about buying him. I called her, surprised, and she said that 2 horses were too expensive, and "did I want him back?"
Stranger things have happened.

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-16-2012 12:35 PM

He isn't broke at all though? He's only a year old. Basically someone would be paying to look at a pretty horse
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 05-16-2012 12:47 PM

all I can say is good luck with your horse

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-16-2012 01:13 PM

Thank you, I MAY have a place to keep him. But it would be a HUGE inconvenience to everyone. I don't know what to do!
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 05-16-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy (Post 1500081)
I found out the other night, I honestly don't have anything I can do with my colt until November.

I don't understand this, what has changed? You must of known when you bought him that for a few years they just stand around looking pretty for most of the time?

If you want a trail horse NOW, well that's what you should have, so it makes sense to sell him and put the money towards what you really want.

I have spent all of this year soul searching and selling, my problem was to many horses, for all of the wrong reasons, so I have sold the ones that I wasn't using properly, and bought what I hope I need, and want......it hurts but all I can say is next time be very honest with yourself and buy what you really want.

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-16-2012 04:54 PM

What I meant by "I don't gave anything to do with him" is we are moving from my current house with 7 acres to an appartment. I was going to keep him at a friends, but that can't happen now. And I can't get a job and pay board until I get my lisence in November.
Posted via Mobile Device