The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Liability insurance (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/liability-insurance-123435/)

pwalshmn 05-14-2012 08:56 PM

Liability insurance

I have two horses that I keep at my home. Neither are particularly valuable, they are just pets. We trail ride, we pony ride with friends, and my kids want to start 4-H shows this summer.

I am thinking that I need to carry some kind of liability insurance policy. I've googled it and it looks like I can get just an umbrella policy for $250-$300. I am not sure how to evaluate these plans to determine which would be the best choice for me. I'm really not worried about small issues, I just want to protect myself in case something bad were to happen.

Any suggestions as to what I should consider?

Thanks.

franknbeans 05-14-2012 09:00 PM

Since they are at your home, I would talk to your agent about a farm type policy with liability coverage so that the whole thing is in one. I personally have just gone with $1M/$2m coverage. If some one gets hurt it the amounts you are talking about won't do much if they sue. I worry about numerous things, but say they get out, and someone hits them and gets killed. That will cost you more and a couple hundred thousand. In fact, for that there may not BE enough. Also depends upon your state. SOme states have equine risk laws, others don't. I worry less when mine are in VA, which has the laws to curb the suits, as opposed to NY, where there are none.

pwalshmn 05-14-2012 10:07 PM

Thanks Frank. I think that I was a little unclear. I am looking at coverage of $1m/$2m. The $250 or so was the annual premium. This seems well worth the peace of mind so I am going to go ahead and purchase something. It just doesn't seem like there is much on which to differentiate the plans that are available.

franknbeans 05-14-2012 10:09 PM

That seems to be the typical coverage and average price.

annamarga23 05-17-2012 05:30 AM

What is liability insurance commonly asked question What Is Liability Insurance
Liability insurance policies cover both legal costs and any legal payouts for which the insured would be responsible if found legally liable. Intentional damage and contractual liabilities are typically not covered in these types of policies.

Read more:
What Is Liability Insurance

stevenson 05-20-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwalshmn (Post 1500247)
Thanks Frank. I think that I was a little unclear. I am looking at coverage of $1m/$2m. The $250 or so was the annual premium. This seems well worth the peace of mind so I am going to go ahead and purchase something. It just doesn't seem like there is much on which to differentiate the plans that are available.

What state are you in ? and what insurance company did you find with premiums of $250.00 a year !! I want that insurance ! I am in CA. and have only found policies with that premium per month !:shock:

franknbeans 05-20-2012 06:01 AM

Premiums very widely on what you are insuring, and how you use your horse/property. Obviously a lesson barn will be greatly more expensive than my horse at someone elses farm.

verona1016 05-21-2012 06:43 PM

Assuming you currently have homeowner's insurance, call them and ask if the liability portion of it covers horses. Many policies are written to generically cover damage/injuries caused by any animal owned by the policy holder, whether they are on or off the insured property.

As long as you're not running any kind of horse-related business (you're not boarding other people's horses at your property, training, etc.) you may not need to purchase additional insurance at all.

PaintHorseMares 05-21-2012 07:06 PM

^^^^ Agreed. For our needs, our homeowner's coverage of 300K is fine.
Posted via Mobile Device