The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Advice on visiting KY Horse Park? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/advice-visiting-ky-horse-park-123441/)

RoosHuman 05-14-2012 10:27 PM

Advice on visiting KY Horse Park?

Hey guys!
We are thinking about making the trip up to the Kentucky Horse Park this summer. Has anyone been? Any tips or advice for the tourist?

=)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-14-2012 11:09 PM

KY Horse Park is as close to Heaven on Earth as any horse person can get IMO. Check out all the neat stuff they have there, Saddlebred Museum, Arabian Museum, Dressage Headquarters, Pony Headquarters, several resting places of famous TB race horses, gorgeous grounds, ponds, paddocks, show venues.......OMYGOSH, I could go on for hours about how much I loved that place! I'll see if I can upload some of my pics and post them here in a little bit.

RoosHuman 05-14-2012 11:14 PM

Oh wow! Thank you!!! We are thinking about camping out for a few days and checking everything out. There seems to be so much stuff, I just didn't know where to start looking! I saw on their website that they have trail rides through the park for only $17. Even if it is just at a walk, I know that once I am up there I will want to ride! :P

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-14-2012 11:21 PM

I'd do the ride for fun but also make sure you are there when the horses are coming in for the night, it's quite a sight to see! I won't spoil the surprise with any more info but it was pretty impressive.

themacpack 05-14-2012 11:22 PM

COMFORTABLE SHOES!!!!! (suitable for riding, of course, if that's what you decide to do - but do know it is your typical nose-to-tail walk, not that long and - even to my absolutely horse crazy daughter BEFORE she had a horse of her own - not all that impressive)

loveduffy 05-14-2012 11:27 PM

take the barn tours they were great real nice barns and every thing els every body said If there are any horse show a must see I just love the place was there for 4 days

RoosHuman 05-14-2012 11:30 PM

I'm thinking I'll wear some shorts and skinny tennis shoes... LOL It will be for my birthday, which is in July, hot hot hot!!!
@Dreamcatcher, what all did the dressage headquarters have? I am very intrigued! ;)

RoosHuman 05-14-2012 11:31 PM

I can't wait to go in and see all of the horses... I am also a huge nerd, so my friends will have to put up with me reading everything at all of the museums!!

DancingArabian 05-14-2012 11:49 PM

Just as a side note....there's a Wal-Mart in Lexington, not too far from the KY Horse Park that has a horse cemetary on the grounds. Hamburg Place horse cemetary. They purchased the farmland and found the graves. They very respectfully relocated the graves and turned it into a little memorial park. 18 racehorses lay in rest there, along with some past KY Derby winners.

Grave Matters Hamburg Place

A list of the horses buried in the garden is also on that site.

RoosHuman 05-14-2012 11:57 PM

Thanks for the side note! We will have at least one day out to explore the town.

Does anyone know of any large tack (and college student priced) tack shops in that area? I have never been to horse country before... I am most likely going to walk away broke!