The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Help With Quarter Horse Pedigree- Research (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/help-quarter-horse-pedigree-research-123458/)

Kamiller1991 05-14-2012 11:30 PM

Help With Quarter Horse Pedigree- Research

Okay, so this is the first time I am actually buying a registered AQH and am trying to do some research on the pedigrees. The foal doesn't have a registered name as of yet- but his sire is Bye Bye Blue Isis and his dam is Pure Diamond Chance.

I recognize quite a few big names, King, Leo, Peppy, and Poco Bueno.

So I guess my main question is- to those who are familiar with lines, what potential does this little colt MIGHT have, and are their any horses in there to be concerned about?

Also! How far back does the breeding REALLY matter, as far as traits the foal may have? 9 generations, 10? Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Chiilaa 05-15-2012 05:48 AM

IMO breeding only matters in the first 4 generations. Beyond that it's too far back to count - unless it's heavily line bred that is.

Kamiller1991 05-15-2012 12:19 PM

Bye Bye Blue Isis Quarter Horse The Sire
Pure Diamond Chance Quarter Horse The Dam

On both sides they have some foundation- Leo, Poco Bueno, King, Doc Bar. But they're pretty far back and I am not sure how far back you can "count" the breeding towards potential. Does anyone see anything as far as what this colt may have potential for?

Ripper 05-15-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamiller1991 (Post 1500981)
Bye Bye Blue Isis Quarter Horse The Sire
Pure Diamond Chance Quarter Horse The Dam

On both sides they have some foundation- Leo, Poco Bueno, King, Doc Bar. But they're pretty far back and I am not sure how far back you can "count" the breeding towards potential. Does anyone see anything as far as what this colt may have potential for?

Nothing there to write home about.

ThirteenAcres 05-15-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 1501025)
Nothing there to write home about.

I disagree a bit. There are a couple of nice accomplishments within the closer generations.

To answer the question, I see some speed influences in there with Jet Deck. There are some cutting lines as well. Time will tell what the foal's potential will be.

Also! Welcome to the forum, and I'd love to see the foal. =D

Nokotaheaven 05-16-2012 06:34 PM

In what he's capable of, I'd say it mostly depends on his conformation and what he likes to do the most in or out of the ring... I mean, no heart, no horse. But looking at the pedigree he'd probably be alright at rodeo/speed events. And I'd look more into the Mito line. Because what I know is Mito Commander passes on a trot/walk in which the horses flick their feet outward (to the side), and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Does he do that?

SaddleStrings 05-16-2012 07:36 PM

Got a lot of cow bred horses in there. There dam's lineage is more recognizable than the sire's.

Suzuki650 09-17-2012 09:00 PM

Kamiller...I am also buying a filly from this breeder in Iowa. The sire is Bye Bye Blue Isis as well. I live in Maine, too. Are you still buying a colt? Because there are only 3 sold in Maine, and I know the 3 people who bought them.....Bye the way...most Quarter horses have many of the sires that you mentioned on their pedigree several generations back. They are all linked!

LuvMyPerlinoQH 09-18-2012 07:25 AM

My bet is he will be one helluva cow horse. I like all those lines solid foundation.My dream horse would be a son or daughter out of Peppy San Badger I love that horse all the greats came from him he's amazing doesnt get near the credit he deserves