The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   The Ultimate Quarter Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/ultimate-quarter-horse-123480/)

BarrelWannabe 05-15-2012 09:57 AM

The Ultimate Quarter Horse

I was browsing online line sale ads and saw so many different "styles" of Quarters that it got me thinking.

What, in your opinion, is the ultimate Quarter Horse? Not built solely for a certain discipline, but all around?

Mine is a well built, good-minded individual with a 'whats next?' attitude. He would be around 15h, no taller that 16h, with a medium sized head, strong legs with short cannons and thick boned. He would also have a nice, well muscled, strong, and short back. Hindquarters would be large with stout stifles and hocks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ripper 05-15-2012 10:15 AM

My show gelding was my ultimate quarter horse.

Red roan about 15.3 hands and his weight was about 1100 pounds.

You could profile him and see 1/3 head and necK.....1/3 middle and 1/3 hip and butt.

His butt was always a little high.

He had huge inside and outside gaskin.

He always did well in halter however, western pleasure was claim to fame.

The only common fault I was told by judges was he was a little long from his eye to his nostril.

We fixed that with a custom show halter.

I hope I can raise another Sunny.

BlueSpark 05-15-2012 11:33 AM

The foundation, ranch type. Extremely sound, quick and powerful, but you could ride all day, cowy, bold, fast when you need it but settles down to a long day of w/t checking cows. Great temperment, fantastic work ethic.

To me a quarter horse was the ultimate working ranch horse that made settling and ranching the west possible.

I think its a shame that the breed has gone from that to one where you can find your next jumping/dressage/hunter/eventer/halter/reining/cow/trail/kids pony, from pony size to 18hh, heavily muscled and extremely stocky build to super light and narrow, roman nose and coarse face to dainty arab type, solid bone to "tooth pick" legs.

When does a breed stop being a breed?

Ripper 05-15-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 1500830)
The foundation, ranch type. Extremely sound, quick and powerful, but you could ride all day, cowy, bold, fast when you need it but settles down to a long day of w/t checking cows. Great temperment, fantastic work ethic.

To me a quarter horse was the ultimate working ranch horse that made settling and ranching the west possible.

I think its a shame that the breed has gone from that to one where you can find your next jumping/dressage/hunter/eventer/halter/reining/cow/trail/kids pony, from pony size to 18hh, heavily muscled and extremely stocky build to super light and narrow, roman nose and coarse face to dainty arab type, solid bone to "tooth pick" legs.

When does a breed stop being a breed?

18 hands???

katbalu 05-15-2012 11:39 AM

I saw an 18 hand qh the other day. HUGE. And my qh can fit under his legs... Because he's 13.5
Posted via Mobile Device

Ripper 05-15-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katbalu (Post 1500842)
I saw an 18 hand qh the other day. HUGE. And my qh can fit under his legs... Because he's 13.5
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow....any chance of getting a picture???

I would love to see it.

katbalu 05-15-2012 11:44 AM

Of my 13.5, or the 18 hand?
Posted via Mobile Device

katbalu 05-15-2012 11:45 AM

Or my 13.5 under the 18, LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Ripper 05-15-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katbalu (Post 1500852)
Or my 13.5 under the 18, LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

The 18 HH horse was my interest but, your horse under it would be a bonus.

katbalu 05-15-2012 11:50 AM

If I get back out there I certainly will. It was a beautiful champagne. A barrel racer no less! And for sale for 15,000
Posted via Mobile Device