The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Me and Spirt got invited to ride in a parade!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/me-spirt-got-invited-ride-parade-123523/)

Spirit Lifter 05-15-2012 05:28 PM

Me and Spirt got invited to ride in a parade!!

Well the local 4H just asked me and my horse to ride in the local Fourth of July parade!!!!! I'm so excited!!! And I had just made a post today asking what else could I do with my trail horse! Great timing! The 4H lady is also my BO.:clap::clap::clap::clap::happydance:

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2012 05:45 PM

How awesome is that!!

Coincidence? I think not :wink:

Have a blast!!!

Spirit Lifter 05-15-2012 06:05 PM

Thanks Sky. I think now it would be fun to get Spirit used to a cap gun so I can wear my new holster made by the Amish that match my tack! Yay!!!:lol:

Wild Heart 05-15-2012 07:07 PM

How wonderful! Sounds like it will be so much fun.

Be sure to have someone take tons of photos so we can see you and Spirit on parade.

waresbear 05-15-2012 07:09 PM

Being in a parade is the most fun ever, I used to do it with my daughter's Arab, you'll have a blast!

Spirit Lifter 05-15-2012 07:27 PM

Thanks Wid and Wares. I didn't think of asking folks to take photos. Good idea. Also nice to know that you guys did it and had a blast!:D

GreySorrel 05-15-2012 08:44 PM

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but...do you have insurance on you and your horse in case something should go wrong? I have done ONE parade, hated it. People don't pay attention, they walked right in front of my draft mare hitched to a vehicle, I had cars fly by me and cut me off going back to the trailer, others refused to move so I could get by them, had to find an alternative route to our trailer. We carry a million dollar policy on our stock and whatever we do.

Spirit Lifter 05-15-2012 08:56 PM

I'll definitely look into that? Is that liability or what?

GreySorrel 05-15-2012 09:21 PM

We have it through our VA horse industry association....call your insurance agent and see if they can't tell you what you need to do.

Palomine 05-15-2012 11:28 PM

While parades used to be fun years ago to ride horses in? I think much of the common sense that people on the sidelines used to exhibit has gone by the wayside.

My friends, who have ridden for many, many years, and drive too, moved here to MO, and the first thing did upon arrival in the small town, was find the saddle club. Joined it just in time for town parade. She said they are riding along, 5 abreast, and the fool on far right? Throws hard candy over all of the horses and riders to his left, hitting a couple of riders/horses, and causing some problems.

She also said that she was amazed at the numbers of children that ran right out into the horses to get a piece of less than a cent candy. Or in front of them screaming.

Most groups in Mardi Gras in Deep South have quit riding their horses in parades because of fools shooting off firecrackers under the horses, or in one case, grabbing the bridles of horses going by and yanking on them. And those parades have MAJOR barricades erected to with law every 20 feet or so.

And last year or so? There was a parade that horse took off through the crowd and killed someone if I am remembering right.

Horses stampede at parade kills 1, hurts 20-plus - CNN

Here is the buggy with horses in video shot by bystander.

And this was in Dallas this year, with horse under saddle.

Two Injured by Horse at MLK Parade in Dallas | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

While your skills and the attitude of your horse has much to do with your safety, you can not control what the others around you do, either other riders or bystanders.

Something I always consider? Whether the event would be as much fun, if at the end I have to pay out vet bills because my horse was injured.

Outwalkers are a must, to try and keep people out from under your horses, but even they may do no good.

For me? I would not even think about it, as I value my horses too much to risk injury to them, or to me for that matter.