The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   To all those scared to canter... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/all-those-scared-canter-123524/)

HorseCrazyGirlForever 05-15-2012 05:48 PM

To all those scared to canter...

I was scared to canter. I admit, I was petrified. Scary. All I could think about it. When we pulled into the drive to my Riding Instrutor's house, I walked in shaking. I was going to canter today. Not like the other lessons, where I was to scared, and trotted the whole time, but today was the day. I would write it in my horse journal. " Today I cantered! I am so proud of myself "!NOT! I had not even tacked up yet. Red,the trusty 10 year old QH that I rode. I brought him in from the field, and groomed and tacked up. By the time I was tighetening the cinch, I was litteraly shaking. " Meghan! What's wrong "? My RI Anne asked alarmed. " Today Anne, I am going to canter ". I said calmly." Oh. Well you beter get your brain bucket on "!Now, I was REALLY scared. But I got into the saddle anyways. I warmed him up, then changed directions, and did it again. " Ready to canter"?Despite my fears, I answered." Yes ". I said so shakily that I coundn't even understand my self. " All right. Now give him some leg and touch him with your crop "! I was holding on for dear life. But I listened. And did it. Red cantered, right lead. And then I stopped him. " What! What are you doing"?! Anne screamed to me." I-I'm sorry"!" Ah don't worry about it! Try again! All by yourself on the turn so he will take the right lead".So I trotted him to the turn, kicked him lightly, and touched him with the crop gently and said it. Tha six letter word would change my life forever. " CANTER "! I screamed. Red broke into the most beautiful medium canter I had ever seen and ridden. I was flying. I wasn't on earth, I was in the clouds. We were riding on a lush cloud, not ever touching the ground. And then I was back earth. " That was AMAZING "! Anne cried!I was so happy, I had little tears of joy. I, Meghan.N.W, had cantered. I was now, an intermediate rider. And questions? Just post!

DressageDreamer 05-15-2012 06:39 PM

I remember that feeling. I had a nasty mishap with my horse ending with a concussion that made me afraid to canter. On my RI's lesson horse, she had me canter on a longe line with my arms held straight out to the side, not holding on. I was terrified until we started doing it. I then remembered how wonderful it feels to canter and how much I had missed it. My arms didn't stay where they were....they raised higher in triumph and I cheered. My husband actually caught the moment on our camera and afterwards my RI hugged me.

Spirit Lifter 05-15-2012 06:46 PM

What a great story to share with others who may have the same hesitation!! It made me smile. I felt the same way when me and my mare jumped over a 2.5 ft. log on an uphill slant. Nice to get to the other side, isn't it?:clap::thumbsup::happydance:

waresbear 05-15-2012 06:54 PM

Well you're on your way now, I suppose next month you'll be jumping!

HorseCrazyGirlForever 05-15-2012 06:58 PM

waresbear, I am already jumping 3 ft! I was jumping on my 3rd lesson and was never led around by my RI.

waresbear 05-15-2012 07:08 PM

Jumping 3ft! Cantering was just the icing on the cake then, good job.

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2012 07:25 PM

Great job!! I am still scared to canter. But I find I can canter better when no one else is around, my horse takes good care of me.

Lovely story :)

Houston 05-15-2012 07:27 PM

Awesome!

I will never forget the first time I cantered on a gorgeous Arabian gelding... ah it was indeed like flying. Not only special because it was my first time, but special because that horse was so lazy and stubborn, my instructor at the time said it was rare for anyone to get him to move like that!

ThirteenAcres 05-15-2012 07:29 PM

Breaking into a canter is a memory I'll never lose. You put it to words perfectly. It was flying. It was one of the most amazing feelings I've ever had. Congratulations on your experience!! =D

littrella 05-15-2012 09:53 PM

good for you!!!