The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent help needed with newly broken before tomorows ride?!

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Skyseternalangel 
#1 ·
HI,
Firstly I would like to say any advice would be grately recieved.
I am riding a newly broken gelding.He has about 12 hours on him so far about 6 of which ive ridden but i was present the whole time. Hes been super until today and weve hacked and schooled. Today though I went to ride later than usual and maybe rushed everything a bit he was a bit more jumpy than usual but was going round the school fine until I decided to tighten up the girth and he turned to sniff my foot (he always does this) but instead of calming back down like usual he spooked and took off in a leaping bucking situation. This was not an aggressive buck just spooked one however having my leg up over saddle at the time he managed to get me off easily and he didnt want me to get back on after I caught him he was acting up like he was scared of me. Trying to run and spinning. I re mounted and rode around the school in walk until he seemed calm.

I was just gaining confidence in this pony and now im nervous that tommorow he will give me a battle because Ive heard that because he got me off he will realise to try that again, Is this most likely the case or might he ride as usual?

Should I approach this and carry on as usual tommorow and IF he does go into rodeo how should I dicipline the behaviour? The girl that broke him just said that if he ever acts up just growl at him, If he was fully broken then obviously I would smack him but would that make him worst?

Please help I feel like I was starting to make good progress with this boy and now im not sure if im doing wrong, We want him as a riding pony for my neices eventualy and ive also been told to avoid "teaching him how to buck" but how could I have stopped what happened today!!

Thanks
Sam, With a very sore butt!!!:oops:

See less See more
#5 ·
He has only 12 hours under saddle so far?

First! With any horse that is new to being under saddle, take it slow and don't rush the process. Spend a lot of time working on the ground. Lunge him on schedule and be consistent in how much of a warm up you give him. Also, spend some time simply stepping up into the stirrup, dismounting, fully mounting, dismounting again. So on so forth until he is calm for being mounted.

Start off riding in smaller areas and practice some basic exercises like making circles both ways, stopping, backing up, etc.

Just be slow and patient, but also be firm in what you ask. If you press him on after an "episode" he will come to learn that it won't upset you or get him out of work. Seems like he just had a little scare, and if you approach him with confidence, he will calm down as well.

#6 ·
I Guess thats what I thought just get on like never happened. Confidence has took a knock since I can hardly walk :( Sure dont bounce back like ten years ago!!
On a serious note when he has his next episode be it tommorow or in two weeks how should I react? because if he does it agian this will be arespect issue right?

#8 ·
Im just getting him going for my neices to ride, most probably showjumping and pony club. Hes home bred from a cherished mare weve had for 18 years.
Hes been sooo perfect until now and we where getting on so well!!
Truth is im a competant rider just that I been out of the saddle for 5 years while having little ones and this is my first fall in ten years and I cant belive how much of a shock it was!! im left doubting my abilities and I was just posting for advice because im a little worried I might create a monster if he keeps getting me off!!
Thank you so much for the friendly and reasuring advice.

#9 ·
I know exactly how you feel. I had several years off and am just now getting back into training and I had NO idea how long it would take to get my confidence back. Just reassure yourself and push those nervous flutters down with determination.

Probably isn't a healthy thing, but I ride and train beat when I am angry or hurt. Makes me that much more determined to do well.

Don't be afraid to drop me a message if you want a dose of encouragement from another mom! =)

#22 ·
I know exactly how you feel. I had several years off and am just now getting back into training and I had NO idea how long it would take to get my confidence back. Just reassure yourself and push those nervous flutters down with determination.

Probably isn't a healthy thing, but I ride and train beat when I am angry or hurt. Makes me that much more determined to do well.

Don't be afraid to drop me a message if you want a dose of encouragement from another mom! =)
I understand exactly how you feel. I recently bought an OTTB after being out of horses for 15 years! I always rode AQHA and this is very different. I love it dearly. But, enjoy your journey.It is wor
th every experience! Be safe and have fun!

#10 ·
Just a tip.. in the future NEVER tighten the girth from in the saddle, especially on a green horse. It takes two seconds to get off, tighten, and climb back on. Much safer too.

I have not and will never do so, because that's setting up an accident.

As for your confidence, it is only shaken not gone :) Just be more careful and relax. Breatheeeee while on your horse, especially a green one. Do lots of transitions from walk to trot and nice wide circles to get him thinking a little more and also keep YOU focused.

It's all good, you can get through this!

#14 ·
until I decided to tighten up the girth and he turned to sniff my foot (he always does this) but instead of calming back down like usual he spooked and took off in a leaping bucking situation. This was not an aggressive buck just spooked one however having my leg up over saddle at the time he managed to get me off easily

Unless she does some weird aerobics on her horse, definitely mounted :lol:

#12 ·
One thing that has built my confidence up is the one rein stop.If you will flex him on the ground from both sides and then when in saddle,it will make a big difference when you ride especially when he takes off because he is spooked or starts bucking ect pull his head around with the one rein stop and I think it will help you with your confidence..

Dan

#13 ·
NO I AGREE, and ive got the bruises to show. The girl that broke him been doing this on hacks and so forth from the off and ive done it twice since ive been riding but there you go he freaked out at my foot anyway!!! I was probably just getting too used to him and too relaxed!
Thanks everybody!! Hopefully he wont have caught on to how easily I came off!! Ill check in tommorow!!

#16 ·
Whenever I start a young horse I always make sure they can easily be flexed in either direction and that I can move the hind quarters away while sitting in the saddle. Make sure he is confident in the ring before ever hacking out! Confidence does not happen in 12 days. He needs more time, at least a few weeks I'd think. Be careful and don't let him go with his head down, keep it up right now and remember if he takes to bucking, be sure you can pull his head toward your knee to stop him. You'll need to do this if he bolts too. Good luck!

#17 ·
first, be aware when you are riding a green horse. be careful with new things.

teach the one rein stop

Always get back on and continue the lesson calmly. If the bucking is fear based(like this case) smacking will acomplish the opposite of what you want, and growling at them like a predator likely wont help either.

Lots of green horses have an episode or two like this. I had a filly from weanling on. Super quiet, went to start her as a three year old, ride 15, dog jumped out of the bushes, huge bucking fit. Got back on calmly and continued the session. never happened again.

#18 ·
My sister rode him tonight as im still struggling to walk properly get in and out of car etc after awkward fall last night :( Plus nerves keep creeping back in and I know that wouldnt help him one bit.
Anyway he was wired tonight like super nervous and he did do one leap in a corner but again bit like a spook but there was nothing there to scare him. she just walked him around the outdoor arena for about 20 mins then called it a night. Shooting school also firing shots every couple of seconds and he was flinching with those. ( something hes not used to as we just moved him to this livery yard to have use of the facilities)
Hes never been nervous before this feels like a huge step back?!!!

#20 ·
Hes never been nervous before this feels like a huge step back?!!!
With a green horse, try and adjust your thinking to measure progress in months and years instead of days and weeks. Training a horse can be the same kind of emotional roller coaster felt by folks trying to lose weight and feel like all hope is lost when they've gained a couple pounds one week. Consistency, patience, and time.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Thanks again. Ive lost more confidence than the horse!! Today I just spent time grooming and did some in hand and lunge stuff.
He was all of a sudden petrified of the saddle for the first time and refused to go into the stable a couple of times? I worked through everything though because I realise I cant let him not do anything once I have asked, gotta finish what you start.
Defenatly think he has spooked himself majorly when I came off because when my sis took stirrups off to dismount last night he froze on the spot and shrunk as small as he could. Also think hes beggining to test me though!!
Thanks for the advice on here its all been fantastic and is helping with confidence. Im trying to get hold of the girl who broke him to see if shes staying in spain or not. If shes home I will defenatly get her to work on him some more with me because the last thing he needs is my bag of nerves on him when hes already gotten spooked. Try and get some pics up here when I pull my act together!!
THANKS AGAIN everybody for your time!!

#24 ·
He was all of a sudden petrified of the saddle for the first time and refused to go into the stable a couple of times? I worked through everything though because I realise I cant let him not do anything once I have asked, gotta finish what you start.
Defenatly think he has spooked himself majorly when I came off because when my sis took stirrups off to dismount last night he froze on the spot and shrunk as small as he could. Also think hes beggining to test me though!!

I'm surprised no one replied to this particular post..

Green horses do this. They don't know whether the saddle is nice or evil.. it just sits on their back and that's life. So at times they will spook. Just keep on desensitizing your horse to it, act like it's nothing. It helps to let them sniff it :)

I personally like to make as much noise as possible and let the horse know it's okay. Cookies help if he's particularly nervous, just watch your feet and make sure he isn't tied. Have someone hold him while he gets used to the saddle being "loud."

You're right about both things. He is spooked about you falling off, and he is testing you. It's GOOD that he's testing you.. shows he wants to learn the right from the wrong.

But you have a great attitude :) Finish what you started, but END on a good note!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.