The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse acting funny on ride could it be....

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  nvr2many 
#1 ·
I have a gelding that when we were on a ride today he was jumpy and acting funny. When I turned him out he urinated first thing. Could this be why??? Will they urinate while riding? I also thought since we were going by the pond they could smell water and maybe he wanted a drink?? Anyway, just wondered about the potty thing while riding or tacked up.

Really don't think it was the water thing since he didn't go to it right away when we got back.

#2 ·
I don't know about jumpy, but could be possible. My horse gets all doggy and wants to stop, but he pees anywhere, mostly in the horse trailer, to foul it up.

#3 ·
Yes and no.

They act a little off when they need to go potty and they can't. But jumpy? I don't think so. How much do you ride him, any changes to diet? Where were you riding him? What's the weather like? When's the last time he had his sheath cleaned?

#4 ·
We were well into our ride over an hour. Didn't do it the whole time, I got off to make sure nothing was bothering him and when I got back on he was ok and when got home he went pee right away so it made me think. I like to figure out why he does what he does so I can get a better understanding. I believe that horses do things for a reason, we just do not always understand them. Maybe he smelled something, in the air, animal? Hum. I ride him 3-4 times a week if I can. Jumpy may not be the word, dancy?? I don't know. Weather was hotter than it has been all year while riding, he sweated more. Um, no change in food.

Oh and sheath, yah, we need to do that!

#7 ·
Nope! Did not go to water, adjusted himself a couple times and then went. Didn't see him go to water but saw him drinking later. I need to get some advice on sheath cleaning. I don't know why I am having issues with doing this. I have groomed dogs and cleaned anal sacs, so sheaths should be no problem. What about this bean removal I read about??

#6 ·
With the warmer weather, he could just be "feeling his oats," so to speak. Also, horses have a lot better sense of smell than we do. He could have been picking up the scent of a predator somewhere in the area (even one that had passed by hours before). I know my friend and the trainer were out on an endurance training ride last fall and their horses (both arab geldings) all of a sudden started acting nervous, dancy and almost panicky. The trainer happened to glance down at the ground as they went past this sandy/dusty area and spotted BIG bear tracks that were only a few hours old. The horses were reacting to the bear scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.