The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Mother's day present (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/mothers-day-present-123569/)

dee 05-15-2012 10:34 PM

Mother's day present

3 Attachment(s)
Older daughter and her hubby surprised me this Mother's Day. I've been looking for a saddle that fits both my horse and my backside, and let me tell you, it ain't easy to find one in my price range - especially when every time I get the $$ saved up, something else comes up and there goes the $$!

Yes, it's probably an import, but the tree is straight, the leather is decent quality, and if it will last me a couple of years, I may be able to fit in a more "normal" sized saddle, and can get a really good one.

I think the saddle may be a tad long for Dancer's back. Hopefully, a good pad will help keep it from rubbing. If it doesn't is it possible to trim the skirt an inch or two? I know it will mess up the pretty tooling, but I'm not really worried about that. I'm not a "pretty" person.

At least this saddle doesn't pinch her withers. I'll probably need a built up pad though, since she is built more than a little downhill?

Attachment 98229

Attachment 98230

Attachment 98231

I know these aren't the best pix to judge fit by. I will try to get better ones this weekend. Too bad you can't judge fit by a saddle staying put when a ding dong grandson decides it would be cute to throw a rock up next to her head to see her jump sidewise. Saddle didn't move an inch, and it wasn't cinched at all. Grandson moved more than an inch, and couldn't sit down for a while!:wink:

dee 05-16-2012 11:26 AM

Anyone? (Please ignore the fat old lady in the pictures. Heavens, I never noticed I had that much grey hair!)

nvr2many 05-16-2012 11:37 AM

Not a saddle expert but loved "Grandson moved more than an inch, and couldn't sit down for a while!":lol:

kitten_Val 05-16-2012 12:46 PM

Wow! I bet that was very unexpected! I'm so glad for you! :D

As for pad, it's rather hard to judge from the pics (at least for me). Can you stick the fingers between the withers and the front?

dee 05-16-2012 12:53 PM

Actually, KV, I can get FOUR fingers between the withers and the front. That's pretty good, I am thinking, since I am obviously NOT a small person! :-)

My old saddle fit terribly. I could get three fingers between her withers and the front of the saddle, but when I ran my hand down her shoulder, I had to really work to get it under the saddle. I could feel a pretty serious pressure point. With this saddle, I can run my hand under with ease. I can tell the saddle is following the slope of her back closely, but it isn't tight. I haven't actually saddled her up, yet. The saddle didn't come with a latigo. I have some extra ones around somewhere, but I haven't had time to hunt them up.

Saddlebag 05-16-2012 12:56 PM

Chose a pad that's a little shorter than the length of the skirts. It will hold the edge of the skirts up so they don't rub the horse's hips.BTW, the bars should not extend beyond the last true rib.

dee 05-16-2012 01:02 PM

I don't think the bars are too long, but I could be wrong. It's been really hard to find a saddle that comes close to fitting her that fits my backside, too. Hopefully, the backside shrinks now that I can ride on a more regular basis. Now that she's finally up to the weight that the vet wants her at (although she is in serious need of muscling), it's been easier to find a saddle for her than it has been to find one for me...

kitten_Val 05-16-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 1502917)
Actually, KV, I can get FOUR fingers between the withers and the front. That's pretty good, I am thinking, since I am obviously NOT a small person! :-)

4 fingers sounds quite enough. And you can also always look into better quality pad for better weight distribution. Have you tried it already?

dee 05-16-2012 01:19 PM

I haven't saddled her yet - have to look up a spare cinch strap. I did sit in the saddle while it was on the arm of the couch. I was thrilled that there was no lopping over of the backside. I am sincerely hoping that a saddle fitting my backside will also help with weight distribution. I do have a couple of good thick pads I can use, but I haven't tried them under the saddle. Guess that's the next step? One of the pads is cut out over the withers, but the other one isn't. I am thinking of using the one that isn't cut away in case the saddle sinks lower on her withers than I want it to. I don't think it will, but I am such a chicken!

kitten_Val 05-16-2012 05:50 PM

Don't forget the pics when you'll be trying the saddle! :-P I'll love to see how you both look with new tack.