The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Sonny with Parelli (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/sonny-parelli-12362/)

SonnyWimps 07-28-2008 07:21 PM

Sonny with Parelli

Well I had my first lesson with the new BO on Sunday and my-oh-my what wonders did just that one lesson do!
We went over the Parelli games, and then went onto "in saddle" work.
We worked on neck-reining which that is what I said I've been having problems with Sonny on. So we rode around in the roundpen (because the arena was too wet). Sonny got a hang of it fairly quickly and we had fun.

Even with just that one lesson, Sonny has learned to respect me a little bit more...there is still much room for improvement, but at least he's not as bad as he was.

We are still working on the in-stall behaviour...he still likes to be pushy in there, but I'm working on it.

The BO loaned me 5 discs on Parelli. and she said she'd loan me the other 5 also once I finish these. But it seems to be going well. So far there is nothing that I downright disagree with...most of it is kinda common sense.

I can tell that I was taught things wrong for my previous lessons and it will definately take a while to get that out of my system. The "right" way (not sure if it's the right way...but the "new" way) seems to work better for Sonny, so I'm keeping it just the same hehe

I'll see if my mom can get a video of me and Sonny tomorrow maybe!!

3neighs 07-28-2008 08:11 PM

Good for you! http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...bsUpSmiley.gif Stick with what works for you and Sonny. I use a lot of Clinton Anderson methods on my horses and I've come farther in the last year with Stella than I did in the 22 years I owned my previous mare. The key for me was to find a balance between what he does and what I do. Keep up the good work!

PoptartShop 07-28-2008 09:18 PM

That's awesome! I hope he does well with it. :D Keep us posted on his progress!

SonnyWimps 07-28-2008 10:39 PM

I will definately keep everyone updated on his progress. I'm currently looking to buy a good bareback pad so I can ride bareback and bridleless. He's responding real well to it, and I'm actually enjoying bridleless (I have a parelli halter on him and a lead rope so if i need to I can do a quick one-rein stop...but haven't needed to yet thankfully). I've noticed also that he is flicking his tail less and less and seems happier which is great.

He was absolutely wonderful today and I even rode him bareback for a while (just walk until I get a bareback pad).

But I myself am really enjoying the parelli...it isn't what I thought it would be at all. I do groundwork before I groom him, after I groom him, and after I finish riding. I mix it up also....I'll do the seven games from start to finish..than will mix it up...and then other stuff.

appylover31803 07-29-2008 02:22 AM

that's great that you and Sonny are doing so well! :)

And congrats to riding him bridleless!

I have a best friend bareback pad and i love it. I'll put the link up in the morning.. err, well after i go to sleep and wake up again.

SonnyWimps 07-29-2008 07:48 AM

I saw the Tacky Too bareback pad and it was nice so I'm leaning towards that one...but my bank account is running kinda low for some reason and with fall shots and teeth floating coming up I may not have enough for that and board. But we shall see...I think I will thought.

I've been doing a whole lot of bridleless, since I moved him, I only rode in the bit once and that was the first time I rode him at the new stables and no one was around. But he's been really good and I'm so proud of him!

appylover31803 07-29-2008 11:26 AM

This is the one i have Sonny. Only mine's in red.
http://www.bestfriendequine.com/englishstyle.html

It's really comfy. I can feel Vega's withers when i don't use it, but as soon as i put it on, it's like heaven. The only thing is, if you ride in shorts and sneakers, the buckles go right into your leg.. or it just could have been how i was sitting, but if you have tall boots on (thats what i ride in, so i'm not sure how paddock boots are) you can't feel a thing and can ride for hours.

I'm so happy for you that you're riding bridleless! That's a huge accomplishment!

Keep us updated on your progress! :)