The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   What is appropriate to wear in certian classes showing local/reg. breed shows? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/what-appropriate-wear-certian-classes-showing-123660/)

COWCHICK77 05-16-2012 03:55 PM

What is appropriate to wear in certian classes showing local/reg. breed shows?

Ahhh! I am confused and times have changed. The last time I shown at a breed show tuxedo shirts, vests and rosette ties were cool...well maybe not, but I thought they were. LOL

I have been thinking of doing some small local breed shows(western, and they have all breed classes) and even went to watch one last weekend to see what was "cool" so I don't go looking like a flashback from 1992. There was a huge variety of outfits in each class and all it did was confuse me, along with my search on the internet.

The stock horse classes are a cinch- a nice starched shirt, starched jeans, clean hat and chaps...easy. However I thought I might try some western pleasure for fun at the more laidback shows. We wont be very competitive but I thought it would be nice to still get them in the pen. So what's appropriate to wear in what classes?
I see rail shirts and jackets....some shirts have cuffs and collars and some don't .....tucked in, left out?
What are some nice shirt/jacket brands decently priced(around $100) and not walk into the ring with 2 gals wearing the same thing as me?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

spurstop 05-23-2012 11:31 PM

If you are doing the all-breed classes as well, just a nice solid button-up shirt, chaps, scarf, and quality, nicely shaped hat (Quarter Horse crease).

WickedNag 05-24-2012 08:32 AM

Just remember if it was all the glitz and bling that won, you would never have a male contestant place. :) Have fun and good luck!

vthorse 07-02-2012 10:52 AM

What are some nice shirt/jacket brands decently priced(around $100) and not walk into the ring with 2 gals wearing the same thing as me?

One year a guy friend and I wore the same shirts in the same class. It was funny...I don't know if he had a woman's shirt on or if I had a guy's shirt! I made sure we didn't line up side by side.

DoubleS 07-03-2012 11:46 AM

Hobby horse has some nice show clothes. Some are really costly but if you dig, you can find some really reasonably priced show shirts.
Their slinky shirts are great, you can wear them for lots of different classes at local shows. :-)

GoAppendix 07-03-2012 01:13 PM

I wouldn't wear Hobby Horse, or a slinky for that matter. With your budget, just get a button-up. It will look the most professional and no one will care if someone has the same color.

COWCHICK77 07-03-2012 11:35 PM

I have plenty of button ups for ranch rodeos.
When I started this thread I had a super freak out, need to buy a show shirt mode! LOL
I am over it now, false alarm, stand down!

Thank you everyone that replied, greatly appreciated!
However, I am curious, is there a difference between the shirts/jackets that have cuffs and collars? Do you wear certain ones for certain classes? Tucked/untucked?

DoubleS 07-04-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1579870)
I have plenty of button ups for ranch rodeos.
When I started this thread I had a super freak out, need to buy a show shirt mode! LOL
I am over it now, false alarm, stand down!

Thank you everyone that replied, greatly appreciated!
However, I am curious, is there a difference between the shirts/jackets that have cuffs and collars? Do you wear certain ones for certain classes? Tucked/untucked?

Im not 100% on this but i'm pretty sure that the jackets look more sophisticated, better for showmanship & stuff like that. More seen on the older age spectrum of competitors from what I've noticed.
All the kids I show with wear slinkies and rail shirts and maybe a vest over them.
The cuffs look more western than without them, the interchangeable ones are great because you can just stick them on your other shirt and have a totally different look for the next show you go to :)
Definitely tucked in unless you aren't wearing a belt :-P
Some shows actually MAKE you tuck your shirt in, I've been scolded for that before. :-|
I'm sure you'll be fine in what the others suggested. When I go to open or unimportant 4H shows, I wear my button up white western shirt if its appropriate :)
Good luck :)

waresbear 07-04-2012 01:53 AM

If it's a button up, it needs to be tucked, a rail type horsemanship shirt, you chose what looks best. I remember the tuxedo shirt, rosettes & matching vests, the 90's. I believe I still have some vintage stuff in my show closet tucked waaay back there. You never know, they might come back in style. I am not a fan of scarves, I think they look hayseed, always hated those things.

COWCHICK77 07-04-2012 12:11 PM

Thanks guys!