The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Raccons? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/raccons-123682/)

MollyDanielle 05-16-2012 06:56 PM

Raccons?

Are raccons puting my horses in danger????

waresbear 05-16-2012 07:04 PM

If they are raiding your barn & pooping in the feed yes, if they are rabid & bite your horse, oh yes.

verona1016 05-16-2012 07:16 PM

If you have raccoons in your area, be sure to vaccinate your horses (as well as your other animals and yourself!) for rabies.

ETA: Bats are also a major carrier of rabies, so same warning as above :-)

themacpack 05-16-2012 08:56 PM

As this is posted in barn maintenance I take it the raccoons are in/around your barn??? As noted above, yes, there are serious health implications that can come from having wildlife, including raccoons, in/around your horses, their feed and their living areas.

Skyseternalangel 05-16-2012 08:58 PM

Raccoons once came into my house, ate my cat's food and he was absolutely sick for days. We had to get him an entirely new dish and change food because it just made him gag and other gross stuff...

They are smart little buggers. Unless everything is locked with a key, they can get into it. Be very careful!!

karliejaye 05-16-2012 09:26 PM

All of the above, and if any of them have a chewed up tail, call animal control to get them immediately. When coons get rabies they chew off their own tails. Tell-tale (punny) sign of trouble.
Even if they are not rabid, I would dispatch them or call some one to relocate them.

MHFoundation Quarters 05-16-2012 09:44 PM

As others have said, yes. In addition to rabies, they can transmit EPM. My brother in law is an avid hunter/trapper and he takes care of them for me. It's a win/win as I get rid of pests/potential harm and he gets pelts to sell.

Many years ago, we had a female get in the indoor arena wall and have babies. It was fun finding out they were there when on a green horse and they skittered up the wall :shock:

Rascaholic 05-18-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1503704)
As others have said, yes. In addition to rabies, they can transmit EPM. My brother in law is an avid hunter/trapper and he takes care of them for me. It's a win/win as I get rid of pests/potential harm and he gets pelts to sell.

Many years ago, we had a female get in the indoor arena wall and have babies. It was fun finding out they were there when on a green horse and they skittered up the wall :shock:

Rats running across the rafters....BIG huge rats. Dozens of them. Did I mention I have a phobia of rats and bats :lol:

Ripper 05-19-2012 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Contract your local coon dog hunters....they would love to help you out.

Attachment 98683

GreySorrel 05-20-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 1503457)
If you have raccoons in your area, be sure to vaccinate your horses (as well as your other animals and yourself!) for rabies.

ETA: Bats are also a major carrier of rabies, so same warning as above :-)

Bats aren't a "major carrier" of rabies, that is a huge misconception. Last summer I found a little female bat by my front gate, so I put her in a box with some soft bedding and found a local bat rescue who educated me on the bat. They get a bad rap from a lot of misconceptions due to hysteria and the euw factor many have, when in reality they are great little creatures who eat a phenomenal amount of bugs that bother and harass and can harm us each night.

This is a great site to read, please anyone who thinks bats are vectors for rabies, this comes right from the bat conservatory:
Bats and Rabies