The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   ABC news investigative report on TWH abuse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/abc-news-investigative-report-twh-abuse-123704/)

franknbeans 05-16-2012 10:33 PM

ABC news investigative report on TWH abuse.

I just found out about this. Apparently the entire story airs tonite at 11:30. ** Video is GRAPHIC**

Tennessee Walking Horses Abused? - ABC News

themacpack 05-16-2012 10:40 PM

Glad to see a light being shone on the issue...........

CLaPorte432 05-16-2012 10:43 PM

Omfg!!!

Adam 05-16-2012 10:46 PM

Holy crap.....

TWHGirl 05-17-2012 01:00 PM

This is an outrage. Very sad to know that some people are so obsessed with winning that they'll subject an animal to this kind of torment. If it were up to me, these people would be locked up in prison forever.

As an owner of both padded and lite shod horses, I find Jackie's actions to be absolutely horrendous and sickening. The stable hands and the owners of those poor horses should also get in trouble for this. Unbelievable.

themacpack 05-17-2012 01:02 PM

I remember a couple of years ago reading the articles about the increased scrutiny/inspections at shows where when the inspectors would show up there would be all sorts of exhibitors that would just pack up and leave to avoid being inspected -- yeah, nothing says, "Nothing to see here" like everyone running away.......

texasgal 05-17-2012 01:13 PM

Ugh .. I could go throw up now..

Unfortunately cheating happens in every venue WHEN winning becomes more important than honesty and ethics.

It can start with simple cheating "while the judge isn't looking" .. and lead to horrors in training or "tricks" in the stall areas at the show.

Win win win win win ... greed ... it can eat away at someone with a less than stellar moral compass...

So sad. I lived in Tennessee .. I try to avoid these TWH threads. They are such nice nice nice animals .. exploited and abused for the almighty WIN and $$$ ...

Someone say goodbye .. I need to leave this thread...............

TWHGirl 05-17-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1504451)
I remember a couple of years ago reading the articles about the increased scrutiny/inspections at shows where when the inspectors would show up there would be all sorts of exhibitors that would just pack up and leave to avoid being inspected -- yeah, nothing says, "Nothing to see here" like everyone running away.......

That is true. But the way I see it...at least they're running away. If we could get consistently stringent inspections at all shows then the lowlifes would eventually run out of places to hide and they'd no longer have a reason to stay in business. Unfortunately, money is the limiting reagent and the federal government more often than not only hands out wrist slaps to people who are caught doing this stuff. Jackie is trying to enter into a plea bargain which, if it is accepted, will result in the other 51 counts being dropped.

franknbeans 05-17-2012 04:55 PM

I am wondering if this has had ripples throughout the TWH world. WE are currently having the breed shows here in NY, and I heard that not one TWH showed up. It is typically TWH, Saddlebreds, Morgans and Arabs.

I cannot even believe any owner allows their horses to be put on those block like things. They must have exceedingly short careers.....and how do the insurance underwriters insure these high dollar animals knowing this? Wow. I find this really unbelievable. I only wish I could take a cattle prod to that trainer.......:evil: It really takes so many folks having knowledge of this and doing nothing that it is beyond my comprehension. From owners to grooms to vets.....many had to know.

hhkcdevries 05-17-2012 05:16 PM

This happens everyday!! Not just TWH. It is sickening and sad to think that the animal doesn't know what true happiness is. Being subjected to such measures one would almost think that these animals would end up by hurting someone BAD (ie the so called lowlife trainers)!! AS THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO!! It makes my blood boil. To see the fear and sadness in the eyes of the abused horses I work with is sickening enough. I honestly feel I would punch, kick, & fight a person if I ever saw it happening. Probably would pick up the closest object and start beating them.