The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   Ranger, a sweet horse with too little time- RIP (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/ranger-sweet-horse-too-little-time-123730/)

LetAGrlShowU 05-17-2012 09:57 AM

Ranger, a sweet horse with too little time- RIP

Yesterday when I got home, I saw my neighbors had company. I rent the pasture my horses are in, and their horse, Ranger has an adjoining pasture and is let out with my guys daily.

As I got out of my car I heard a loud gun shot. I didnt think anything of it. Thirty minutes later, my neighbor posted a facebook post stating that her horse Ranger had died. I was in shock. I figured colic, or posioning from weeds in his pasture... something environmental. I had seen his just the night before, when I put him in his pasture so I can feed my horses, andhe was healthy and happy and sweet as always.

I went over to speak to my neighbor, to give my condolences, and frankly, to ensure my horses weren't in danger. She said Ranger had been pushing on the mesh fencing separating the pastures from day to day to be with the herd. There are 3 metal T posts that hold it up, with a strand of electric (which is never working). He must have tried to go over it, and the T post ripped his belly open, allowing his intestines to hang out. :-(

She found out when he was in the pasture with my horses and she said he just didn't look right. When she walked over, she was completely shocked.

Our vet was out of town and she didn't know how long the horse had been hurt. She did the kndest thing she could do. Called a friend and had him put out of his misery. He has a grave site on the property. I am in total disbelief.

He was only 10 years old, he was so sweet. He was never worked with but always had excellent ground manners. He was soft and shiny. I feel terribly for his owners. My husband was even affected (and he isnt emotional at all). He is leaving work early today to trim and weed wackthe property to ensure the electric is working. There is mostly 4 board fencing where my boys are but if they wanted to, they could surely get themselves into trouble in the same spot.

Ranger, your time here was far too short. You were a good boy, and were loved by all who met you. May you RIP buddy.

natisha 05-18-2012 02:22 PM

I'm sorry this happened to Ranger. His death could have been prevented by a 50cent T-post cap.

LetAGrlShowU 05-18-2012 02:45 PM

Natisha, this could have been prevented in more ways than one. I walked the entire pasture and looked at the T post, there was no blood. DH mentioned that if it only cut into the fatty part, there wouldn't have been much blood and the fat hanging may have looked like intestine. In which case, shooting him was not the only answer. I wasn't there to see it (thank God), but in the end, a sweet, sweet horse was laid to rest. It is very sad.

ETA- They even left the 2 T post he knocked over towards the pasture my guys are in, sticking straight out. Had hubby not seen it, my horses could have been injured or killed as well. I know she was caught up with grief, but good God- please don't let the past repeat itself.

ThirteenAcres 05-28-2012 03:01 PM

So glad to hear your horses didn't meet the same fate. That is absolutely horrible to imagine. I've only seen one horse have to be shot in the event of no vet available, and it was so sad.

HorseLovinLady 06-01-2012 10:18 PM

How sad!! RIP Ranger.

flytobecat 06-01-2012 10:49 PM

That's so sad.

SorrelHorse 06-01-2012 11:02 PM

My thoughts with everyone who loved this sweet horse....

redwing57 07-07-2012 07:16 PM

Oh god thats horrible.
Im feel horrible for the owners.:(

jumptothesky 07-09-2012 11:26 AM

RIP ranger
You were loved by all who met you! <3 xxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Oldhorselady 07-09-2012 06:32 PM

I love that name. Rest peacefully Ranger.