The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Farrier removed horses shoes! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/farrier-removed-horses-shoes-123757/)

Wallee 05-17-2012 04:50 PM

Farrier removed horses shoes!

I am way overdue on another thread to post pics of my farriers work but I have been way to busy after work to get back on and upload pics. I will be uploading some soon enough though. In the mean time I have to ask a question. My farrier came out to the farm and looked at my horses hoofs and he was supposed to be removing and reshoding the horse. He said the wall was too dry to replace the shoes, said they wouldn't hold cause he couldnt get all the required nails in.... Now soon after he removed the last shoe on the right rear hoof the horse was instantly ouchy and limping on the right rear. Now after about 1 week with no shoes the horse is acting lame on all FOUR!!! What should I do??

MyBoyPuck 05-17-2012 05:48 PM

Wow that sucks. I have several suggestions.

1. find more competent farrier who can either glue on shoes or build up the hoof with fillers to get shoes nailed on.

2. borrow hoof boots to make your horse more comfy. Worst case, make "boot" out of duck tape. Just tape up the hooves so he's got something between his feet and the ground.

3. While I do not care for it due to overuse, a little Bute to take the edge off for a few days.

4. If you can find Durasole or venice turpentine, both help toughen up the soles a bit.

5. If you have grass turnout available, put the horse there since most newly barefoot do well on grass footing.

PaintHorseMares 05-17-2012 05:51 PM

^^^ and keep them dry. Wet soles are soft and make them ouchier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horseman56 05-17-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallee (Post 1504642)
... My farrier... said... "the wall was too dry to replace the shoes...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...h/BS-Meter.jpg

Quote:

...said "they wouldn't hold cause he couldnt get all the required nails in....
How many nails are required??? If there is wall damage, punch new nail holes in the shoe as needed.

Quote:

Now soon after he removed the last shoe on the right rear hoof the horse was instantly ouchy and limping on the right rear.
First rule of farriery.

The horse should walk off better than it walked up.

If it doesn't, you aren't done!

Quote:

Now after about 1 week with no shoes the horse is acting lame on all FOUR!!! What should I do??
You really need to ask?

Here... let's see what your horse has to say.

My feet hurt. Here's a quarter. Pick up a phone and call a farrier who has some skill and whose give-a-**** isn't broken. If you don't, expect to find poop-dumpling-soup in my water bucket every time you clean my stall for the next six months!

Cheers,
Mark

lilruffian 05-17-2012 07:15 PM

He's probably "ouchy" because he's used to having shoes on. The sensitive part of a horse's hoof is not the wall, but the sole. Putting shoes on simply reduces the circulation to the hoof, therefor making the horse's sole less sensitive.
Imagine crossing your legs for awhile until your foot goes numb, and then stand up and walk around. It's going to feel like little needles in your foot.
Also, many horses that have shoes on alot will continue to need them. I personally dont belive what putting holes in the horse's hoof wall is particularly good for them but that's just my OP.
Regardless, i would keep him on grass or firm pasture with no rocks. He needs to be able to walk around and toughen up his feet. This doesn't sound like an issue that will get seriously worse, it will just take time.
I owned a mare that was tender after every trimm but came around after a week or two.
And as the other's said, maybe get another ferrier's advice.

Prinella 05-17-2012 08:51 PM

Time for a new farrier!

And Mark technically its the belittle blondes you have to watch around cliffs!
Posted via Mobile Device

greenbryerfarms 05-17-2012 09:27 PM

I'm offended. I'm blonde, all my geldins are barefoot, my boyfriends dad has 50 head of horses I couldn't afford in my life barefoot, maybe ilivein a good area,but here barefoot is usual unless ur going south... Enough said :) myband camp story is over! I'd get a new farrier.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenbryerfarms 05-17-2012 09:30 PM

Wallee if its your twh I'd look into barefoot there breed tohave hardy feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallee 05-18-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenbryerfarms (Post 1504919)
Wallee if its your twh I'd look into barefoot there breed tohave hardy feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its my QH I use to rope with :P

Wallee 05-18-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseman56 (Post 1504779)
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...h/BS-Meter.jpg

How many nails are required??? If there is wall damage, punch new nail holes in the shoe as needed.

First rule of farriery.

The horse should walk off better than it walked up.

If it doesn't, you aren't done!

You really need to ask?

Here... let's see what your horse has to say.

My feet hurt. Here's a quarter. Pick up a phone and call a farrier who has some skill and whose give-a-**** isn't broken. If you don't, expect to find poop-dumpling-soup in my water bucket every time you clean my stall for the next six months!

Cheers,
Mark

I am definatly getting a new ferrier out this week. I got a hold of another guy here in the area that is supposed to be really good and he is supposed to be calling me back and getting out here this weekend. I hope he is true to his word cause this horse needs something done now.