The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   more soring in the news (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/more-soring-news-123821/)

SueNH 05-18-2012 07:41 AM

more soring in the news

Video shows 'cruel and inhumane practice' used to train horses - CNN.com

franknbeans 05-18-2012 07:53 AM

That is the same trainer, and part of the same story, featured on Nightline a couple of nights ago. This guy is disgusting.

SueNH 05-18-2012 08:28 AM

I'm glad it's getting attention in mainstream news.

Those caught doing these things should get ginger put on their bottoms and made to prance at the opening of every walking horse show.

gigem88 05-18-2012 10:19 AM

I saw where Pepsi pulled their sponsorship, all sponsors should follow suit.

MHFoundation Quarters 05-18-2012 10:23 AM

I think it's fantastic that it's making national news. What is done to those horses is absolutely disgusting.

Rascaholic 05-18-2012 05:28 PM

This is why I LONG ago quit riding TWH show horses. It started happening at our local level and I couldn't abide it. The whole big lick ideal makes me nauseous. How can you take something so beautiful and IMO torture and pervert it with crap like this. People suck very much bad. I hope the inmates are told what his charges are when they lock his butt up!

CarmenL 05-18-2012 06:24 PM

I had no idea this stuff went on with showing these horse. I find it quite unbelievable. Then I look at the riders and they all seemed to be older men hunched over, looking mean and sinister!!LOL like the types in the old stories/cartoons with curly moustaches that tie ladies to railway tracks!! Or maybe that was just the particular utube video I happened to watch.

No one who loves horses would behave this way, and all for a bloody ribbon, or is it the money?

BubblesBlue 05-18-2012 06:48 PM

The sad part of this is that everyone is going to think all of the horse trainers around are terrible. Because they don't get out and know what real training is...

On the bright side, I'm really glad they were caught. >.< They needed to be stopped...

imagaitin 05-18-2012 07:19 PM

I was pleased as punch to see this. These horse shows have to be the most ugly event in sports; I can't watch them.

I am sure that not ALL TWH trainers use soring in the training of their horses. I even saw one trainer show how humanely they put the heavy front shoes on their horses, and I agree; the application was no more harsh than regular shoes.

BUT... the mere fact that these animals have to walk around with with heavy shoes on their front legs wrong. Over time, their front tendons and backs pay the consequence. You can see them struggle as they make their way around the arena. And carrying the weight of the rider makes it even worse. Many farriers (including mine) REFUSE to apply these shoes, knowing the damage they do. All because a select few find this attractive? Abuse is abuse.

Good for Pepsi. I hope others follow suit.

ponyboy 05-18-2012 07:42 PM

Good. Hopefully all those do-gooder celebrities who were complaining about the carriage horses in New York will start complaining about this much bigger problem instead. I mean, there is absolutely no arguing that soring is cruel.