The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Vision Problems (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/vision-problems-123847/)

NCTrailrider 05-18-2012 02:00 PM

Vision Problems

I was wondering if anyone had any vision problems on here that rides horses. I am blind in my left eye and can only see so so in the other eye, I still enjoy trail riding, I just have to be more carefull, to me since I cant drive ,its a great since of freedom.Mark

Celeste 05-19-2012 10:04 AM

I think you should be fine just so you have a sane, sound horse that can see well.

Skyseternalangel 05-19-2012 10:13 AM

I don't think you being blind will cause too much trouble, so long as your horse follows your body. One can always turn their head to look around.

I am near sighted.. I wear glasses. If I put them on before I go to the barn, my horse knocks them off. If I put them on before I mount him, he doesn't have time to knock them off (apparently he likes me without them, LOL) I actually rode a greenie mare that KNEW when I wasn't wearing glasses because she'd try to toss me off when I didn't wear them and when I did she'd pipe down. It was bizarre.

But it doesn't impede my riding at all. Just makes everything feel surreal and dream-like instead of being in reality :P

kitten_Val 05-21-2012 12:26 PM

Mark, I have eye issues as well that worsen last year. I was scared at first, but then just continued to do lessons, showing, and trail riding. I guess you just get used to it as time goes. :D

And Welcome to the Forum BTW!

NCTrailrider 05-22-2012 10:16 AM

Thanks guys, Val you are right , you try to get use to it ,I love trail riding, and I hope to be riding when Iam old and grey, of course I am already grey LOL Mark.

gypsygirl 05-22-2012 01:01 PM

i feel your pain ! i am legaly blind in my left eye, have no depth perception, and keratoconus. horses are so great at being your eyes for you. i can even jump, even though i have trouble judging distance and seeing angles. enjoy your riding ! i dont know what i would do with out my horses

Celeste 05-22-2012 02:52 PM

The horse can see the trail and take care of you.
The only thing that I wonder about is stuff above his head.
They seem to have no concept of the fact that if they go under something that is low hanging, you will whack your head. I would think that if you had severe visual impairment, this would become an issue.
My horse can see a lot better than I can for sure.

NCTrailrider 05-22-2012 03:32 PM

Celeste,I have hit a few low branches before,now I wear a helment and sunglasses, to me the risks are worth it.

Celeste 05-22-2012 03:37 PM

For sure!
We all take risks. I don't know how many times I have had a doctor tell me that I should never ride again. I ignore them. Life it too short to follow all the rules..........

wbz 11-08-2012 07:45 PM

You're not alone :) I am legally blind (I have a progressive degenerative retina disease and although I can still see color/shapes, everything is extremely blurry). Since my vision has slowly gotten worse over the years I'm still learning tips & tricks for riding but have not let it stop me! I don't know much about trail riding but have found it helpful to walk paths/areas on foot before going on horseback, to have someone tell me when I am a certain distance away from a jump (yep, I still jump :). I've also heard of people putting bright colored markers in places to help with location, and heard of riders on cross country courses being allowed a headset with a microphone for someone on the ground to act as a guide and talk them though). In dressage I believe there can be people who stand and call the letters, etc. Just some interesting stuff I've learned as far as riding and vision impairments go :)

It's great to know there's more of us out there!