The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What brands of splint boots and bell boots do you find are the best? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-brands-splint-boots-bell-boots-123875/)

Ricci 05-18-2012 07:56 PM

What brands of splint boots and bell boots do you find are the best?

For a good price? I just don't want to spend $100 on a pair of boots for my horse. I've heard that with boots you get what you pay for though but I'm not exactly sure what materials or brands to look for and I don't want to get ripped off. What do you suggest? I am using them to protect my horse because I'm in the process of breaking him and we have been doing some extensive cantering patterns.

Also just cause-what color do you think would look good on a black and white pain w/glass eyes? I thought maybe light blue would look cool to bring out his eye color, but neon green and purple seem cool too.

KarrotKreek 05-18-2012 09:46 PM

For traditional Velcro style bell boots I like the Cavallo boots (look like a waffle pattern texture made out of black rubber material, lined with neoprene) and Pegasus brand bell boots. The Pegasus have a harder exterior to them than the Cavallo.

Both of these are very durable and the side that faces the horses skin has no projections that rub. Like sometimes the Classic and Professionals Choice brands have done in the past on my horses.

cuttinmom 06-20-2012 05:22 PM

Go to resboot.com they have a online store and have great leg protection at a fraction of the price. everything at all other competitors have but affordable!

COWCHICK77 06-20-2012 05:40 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I like Pro Equine boots. I have the bell boots and I like them. (I always liked the pull on rubber boots though)
I don't use splint boots, I use polos, so I can't say there.
And I just switched to their skid boots as well. I always loved the "old school" leather ones with the buckles. But they have those little rolled pieces of leather on the inside of the top band to help hold into position. If they weren't clean constantly that leather gets hard and leaves sores on my horses.
Couple of weeks ago I bought the Pro Equine leather skids (even they are Velcro instead of buckles)but they have a formed soft neoprene type material that still holds the boot in place without creating sores.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 06-21-2012 10:25 AM

Love my Woof splint boots. So far found them the best to use. As for bell - I use pretty much anything cheap enough (just on one horse).

NeuroticMare 06-21-2012 06:27 PM

I like the italian pull on bell boots, but they are spendy so I usually just keep on hand the ribbed rubber velcro dealy bobs, they are usually under $10 :)

For splint boots, it depends what you're doing! For general work and XC riding I like my Woof boots, I also have a pair of ASBs with the padded lining (they also have fleece lining) but they are very hard to get clean, the velcro has stayed white, but the rest of the boot has become grayish dirt, even when I soak/scrub them.

rascalboy 06-21-2012 08:25 PM

Here's a link to a recent article on horse boots: The Horse | Researching Horse Boots

cuttinmom 07-03-2012 02:13 PM

The biggest bang for your buck is to go with RES Equine Products! www.resboot.com they have bells splints sport boots and polo wraps. All products have Replaceable Velcro to :) Excellent quailty and even better pricing! I think they are having a sale right now. We ride cutting horses and they are the only thing I use!

aforred 07-03-2012 05:09 PM

I'm a big fan of Professional's Choice and Classic Equine. Pro Choice offers a splint boot with extended fetlock protection that I really like (called Easy-Fit). They're about $40 at Valley Vet, but there are sales everywhere. The bad thing is, they don't come in lots of fun colors, just black, white, red, navy, or royal. Other stores MIGHT have other colors.

For bell boots, I love the CE no turn bells.
Posted via Mobile Device