The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Riding Ricky (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/riding-ricky-123886/)

Lexiie 05-18-2012 09:43 PM

Riding Ricky

Ricky is a 6 or 7 yo OTTB.
He's about 17.2 hh
He's having a very good day today, for not being ridden about a month
Excuse my leaning forward, that's my latest bad habit
but PLEASE tear me to pieces, I have a show on Sunday

^Also, with that jump, I had other novice riders in the ring so I didn't want him to rush it (he always does unless he's ridden daily)
I know that's one of the worst ways to approach a jump

Skyseternalangel 05-18-2012 09:55 PM

FIRST VID:

Spend more time in 2 point when you warm your horse up. Your lower leg is slipping forward.

Revise this video to help with position:
You also seem to lean on your hands for balance instead of using your core. Is there someone that can lunge you so you can work on handless w/t/c?

Also I'd like to see her moving out more, encourage her to really stretch out. She was really thinking about is at 0:36 and you had the right tempo at 1:25

I'd like to see her bending some more. Hold your outside rein a little farther from her neck and tap your inside leg to ask her to step over into that outside rein.

How does the saddle fit her? I think she would benefit from a halfpad but don't quote me on that since these are moving shots.

I think if you sit back and use your seat instead of throwing it away, she would move out a lot better and you'll be able to bend her and really help her use her back instead of evading.

VID 2:

Okay.. rule number 1. Never ask for a gait up without having a nice current gait. So if your walk is awful, do not trot until you have a nice engaged walk. The horse must stay connected through the transition.. again more seat so sit back and DRIVE the mare, add some leg and encourage her with your hands. Make sure that they aren't tense, they're nice and flexible and your elbows must follow the horse's movement (horse stretched forward, elbows open, horse comes back, elbows close.)

So, your trot was less than stellar. I would have circled, and then asked for the canter when the horse was coming out of that circle. Circles require bending the horse from tip to tail, around your inside leg. Having your seat would benefit you and your horse.

Lexiie 05-18-2012 10:01 PM

I usually don't have my hands that low, but he wouldn't stay collected
Also, I'll be working on responding to leg
His owner is too scared to ride him, so when you touch him with your leg at the trot he just runs. IT's really annoying.

I was really trying to move him out at where you were saying. I would have loved to have him in a working trot around the whole rings, but there were too many kids.

Thank you SO much for that video and the advice(:

Skyseternalangel 05-18-2012 10:06 PM

(Reposting cause ran out of time) VID 2:

Okay.. rule number 1. Never ask for a gait up without having a nice current gait. So if your walk is awful, do not trot until you have a nice engaged walk. The horse must stay connected through the transition.. again more seat so sit back and DRIVE the mare, add some leg and encourage her with your hands. Make sure that they aren't tense, they're nice and flexible and your elbows must follow the horse's movement (horse stretched forward, elbows open, horse comes back, elbows close.)

So, your trot was less than stellar. I would have circled, and then asked for the canter when the horse was coming out of that circle. Circles require bending the horse from tip to tail, around your inside leg. Having your seat would benefit you and your horse. You were very loud on her back and weren't "with" her during the entire thing.

Prepare your horse for the next gait up. If she falls apart getting there, slow her back down, add some figures to get her working, and then ask again keeping her nice and relaxed throughout the transition. She may be feeling some pain somewhere. What bit is she in (curious) ?

VID 3:

I don't see any seat helping her to bend around in that change of direction. I see you are tiptoeing with the contact and aren't really asking her for more. Drive her forward, help her bend and support with that outside rein. elbows tucks into your body, keep your abs soft unless she tries to pull the reins away (which I didn't see, just saw her fussing with the bit)

I had NO idea you were going to jump there.. no one was prepared!!!!!! Be careful, lol. I know you said she did that cause other were there, but don't allow her to. Not safe.. what if she does that at your show, you could fly off.

Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Tweak your position and be conscious of your body and I think you'll have a very nice pair :)

And I can relate.. that's how Sky was except his trot was more like.. lions were chasing him at all times. It will improve, just take your time and work with what he gives you. Sorry about calling him a her, he looks like a mare I know. He is gorgeous though :)

Lexiie 05-18-2012 10:16 PM

The used to ride him in a port or double reined bridle with a twisted snaffle and a curb chain
I have him in my French link.

He's very different from my mare (she's so awkward) I'll hopefully be riding him everyday
SO maybe I'll post videos once in a while after practicing all of this stuff(:

Lexiie 05-18-2012 10:17 PM

Oh and I'm not taking him to the show! That would be a disaster. hahah

Skyseternalangel 05-18-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1506376)
The used to ride him in a port or double reined bridle with a twisted snaffle and a curb chain
I have him in my French link.

He's very different from my mare (she's so awkward) I'll hopefully be riding him everyday
SO maybe I'll post videos once in a while after practicing all of this stuff(:

Yeah that'd be great :) Good luck on your show!

When were his teeth last done and has he had his mouth checked? He seemed to be very uncomfortable so I am kind of guessing some sort of issue in his mouth or he may not like the 3 joints and may like a straight myler or happy mouth.

Just contemplating here, don't mind me :P

Lexiie 05-18-2012 10:30 PM

Oh no, he needs to be floated so badly /:
but his owner's are broke (it's the BO's daughter's horse)
I'd pay for it but it's over 200 >.>

Skyseternalangel 05-18-2012 10:33 PM

Over $200??? Where do you live?? Sky's was only $25... and it was a fine job. most I've seen is $60.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1506385)
Oh no, he needs to be floated so badly /:
but his owner's are broke (it's the BO's daughter's horse)
I'd pay for it but it's over 200 >.>

Anyway sorry for veering off topic, just riding and horse health go hand in hand :)

Lexiie 05-18-2012 10:41 PM

I completely understand.
I'm in PA.
They'll only do it if the horse is sedated, and it's 250. IT's insane.