The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help - New Horse Owner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-new-horse-owner-12392/)

Michigan Horse Mom 07-29-2008 10:45 AM

Help - New Horse Owner

Hey, I'm brand new to this forum and I am looking for some opinions on horse fence and shelters. I have not had my horse on my own property in several years and when I did, I relied on my husband-at-the-time for most of the knowledge of caring for them.

So I am in the process of getting my place ready to bring my very old quarter horse home. I'm curious about what kind of fencing you all like and why. I need something that will keep the neighbor dogs out and the horse in. I prefer to use landscaping timbers for posts and I will be fencing in approx. 2 acres. I live in Michigan, so snow is going to be an issue for the low hot wires, yet I think I need that to keep the dogs out.

There is a small existing pasture made up of a wooden 3-rail fence. We have replaced some of it, painted it, and are getting ready to run hotwire. Again, should I try to run hotwire along the bottom to keep dogs out and if so, how challenging is it to keep the grass/weeds down off the wire?

We're also building a shelter as we have no barn right now. Do you have any plans, photos, or suggestions in this area?

We will use one of the current outbuildings to store tack and hay. How much room do you think is needed for 125 square bales?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

kitten_Val 07-29-2008 11:00 AM

Here are my 2 cents. Depending on horse you may want to consider electric or wood fence. Electric is way cheaper (although you have to keep battery running) and I think it's fine for the older horse. I personally is afraid of electric after BO horse took off once close to the fence and two of us riders were very close to run into the electric fence, but again it may not be an issue for you..

As for shelter, I'd recommend to look into Amish run-ins. Something like http://www.horizonstructures.com/run-in-sheds.asp
When I was looking for the barn I found it to be the cheapest on market (although you have to build the base out of stone dust).

NorthernMama 07-29-2008 11:33 AM

Re: Help - New Horse Owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan Horse Mom
I need something that will keep the neighbor dogs out and the horse in. I prefer to use landscaping timbers for posts and I will be fencing in approx. 2 acres. I live in Michigan, so snow is going to be an issue for the low hot wires, yet I think I need that to keep the dogs out.

Why the big concern to keep the dogs out? I think that will be pretty tough. Better off if the horses learn to chase them out!

Michigan Horse Mom 07-29-2008 11:47 AM

My horse is old and the dogs are annoying. They have 4 dogs.... the 2 pit bulls usually stay fenced in, the white boxer is deaf and runs loose, and the beagle runs loose. My horse is about 25 or 28 years old and I don't know how much he'll defend himself (I haven't been around him in a long time). Maybe it wont end up being a big deal.

3neighs 07-29-2008 12:02 PM

When we first moved to this place six years ago I was in a hurry to get my horses here and we did wooden posts with five strands of high tensile wire and one strand of hot wire. The wires need to be tightened periodically and the weeds need to be cut often to keep them off the hot wire, but overall, it works well and was inexpensive.

kitten_Val 07-29-2008 12:04 PM

Oh, so those are not your dogs... Well... You can run an electric wire on bottom of the fence (with the weak charge) to keep dogs away. Another suggestions (for the wood fence and that's what I use for my dogs) - put a net around. It's again costly though. I'd just go with the electric against dogs.

dimmers_double 07-29-2008 04:37 PM

my horses are currently in a cattle panal fence. the panals are not too expensive. over here in washington, they run about $25 for a 16 foot panel. since your horse is older, he probably wont lean or try to destroy the fence :wink: . i like the look of the amish shelters as well. my horse's pasture goes right up to the barn so they have their stalls. i would also run a hot wire along the top of the fence. the panals are really heavy duty wire and the squares are about 4" by 4". they also make some called combo panals. the only differece is that the squares start out smaller at the bottem and work up to 4" by 4".
http://www.kencove.com/ShopItemIG.ph...=Cattle+Panels
this is the best pic i could find
if you ask a feed store that carries fencing supplies, they will probably know what you are talking about. :D

GallopingGrape 07-29-2008 05:56 PM

I"d start by telling your neighbor to fence in his dogs! Its sad when neighbors just let their dogs run lose, espeically pit bulls. Two of our goats were viciously attacked this spring by the neighbor's dogs..... it was a horrific scene.

NorthernMama 07-30-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan Horse Mom
My horse is old and the dogs are annoying. They have 4 dogs.... the 2 pit bulls usually stay fenced in, the white boxer is deaf and runs loose, and the beagle runs loose. My horse is about 25 or 28 years old and I don't know how much he'll defend himself (I haven't been around him in a long time). Maybe it wont end up being a big deal.

Why not ask the neighbours to look after *their* animals and you will look after *your* animals? Keep a dog out of a horse paddock? I don't see it happening without $chainlink$ Most people are actually pretty good about this sort of stuff.

kitten_Val 07-30-2008 02:32 PM

I'd say in many cases the neighbors are not that cooperative. Almost all my neighbors let dogs run (I keep mine fenced/on-leash at all time). I'm not worried much, because my horses are very aggressive and will just kick the uninvited guests from field, but I do understand the concern.