The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique for Last Weekends Lesson (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-last-weekends-lesson-123976/)

HorseLoverHunter 05-19-2012 11:45 PM

Critique for Last Weekends Lesson

It's actually last weekend and the weekend before that, but i didn't want to make it a longer title. The one from last weekend doesn't have much in it so thats why I am adding the weekends before that in it too. Here is the one from two weeks ago:
i'm still trying to get used to his pony strides and i hate it because he likes close spots so I jump ahead on some of them.

I have the other video loading right now so I will just come in and edit it in when it's done. It's more of just a cute videos but it has jumps/flat work in it as well.

HorseLoverHunter 05-20-2012 09:18 AM

the newest video.

xJumperx 05-20-2012 07:41 PM

First Video -

I would bend your elbows more. Also, you leg is slightly inconsistent. In some of these shots, it's rock solid, and in some it's swinging a lot. I think if you just keep practicing, it will improve though, so nothing to really worry about :)

Jumping - I might be wrong, but I think you are anticipating the jump, then sitting too early. Almost like you are jumping before your horse! :p I use to anticipate all the time ... it took an instructor that yelled at me and stirrupless jumping to get over it. If you don't have an instructor like that (I loved mine xP) then I would jump low stirrupless jumps. You are forced to sit untill your horse pops you up. Get a feel for this. You could also try riding with your eyes closed to the jump. For both of these excersizes, ride with a halter. You WILL bump your horses face. Even the best will in these sorts of practicing.

For the falling too early, I would jump the jump, then stay in 2 point for 2 or 3 strides after the jump. Then sit. It will improve your muscle, and you'll also get a better feel.

You are a really good rider!! Continue on! Mind me asking the heights you jump in lessons? It DOESN'T really matter, because I've seen crap riders try to jump 3' ... but I'm just curious ^.^

HorseLoverHunter 05-20-2012 09:13 PM

thanks! today i actually rode with a dollar bill under my thigh, so no jumping ahead for me! She said i looked really great too! but i used our helmet cam today so none of that. and the highest i have done is 2ft9. the highest it goes in the first one is 2ft6 and the second it 2ft.

Skyseternalangel 05-21-2012 02:40 AM

Omg girlie.. your equitation has improved SO much!!!!!!! You look amazing, your arms are working, your legs are there, your seat is improving.

Lovely!

The only thing is that pony began to throw his head up and try to evade, I would have used inside leg and asked him to come back down to my outside rein.

Watching the second vid now.

Hmm your arms went back to their old habits of not moving with the horse. Were you tense at all? I bet you were with all those other riders in the arena.. I would be too. In the other video they were perfect, following the horse and you got beautiful movement. In this video it's very rushed and you aren't following the horse, he's heavy and bracing.

You need to SIT UP, even when you are waiting. No slouching because if that horse takes off (or pony) your balance on the horse isn't that great. When you sit UP, your seat bones are positioned on the horse and you have a greater chance of staying on, AND communicating effectively with your horse (or pony)

He's going too fast, your legs are everywhere and you're being thrown about after jumps.

Slow down tiger, half halts will be beneficial.

Even at 1:35 see how the horse baulks and refuses to move when you're off? He has no respect for you. Which will translate under saddle.

Also I noticed you arch your back, which makes you like a little jack-hammer on the horse's back.. causing him to hollow out too. Be soft and supple and flexible and your horse will be able to reach that too.

Also he walks off without waiting for you to get situated. Since he's a lesson horse, there's not much you can do.. but that isn't a good thing.

HorseLoverHunter 05-21-2012 07:34 AM

thanks so much! and yeah, i hate riding with other people. Even though those are some of my best friends there I still freak out. and the reason we were going so fast is because we were trying to get in a 4 or 5 stride in a ponys 6 or 7. I can't exactly remember without watching the video.

Skyseternalangel 05-21-2012 07:36 AM

Yeah riding with other people sucks.. but you can't get all stiff and turn into a passenger on that horse! You've gotta practice staying with it, like in the other video.

How did you feel that day (1st vid) ?

HorseLoverHunter 05-21-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1509409)
How did you feel that day (1st vid) ?

hmm. that was a couple of weeks ago. probably better then i did on the day of the group lesson though. my pony was also pooped out and that was relaxing too.

Skyseternalangel 05-21-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLoverHunter (Post 1510310)
hmm. that was a couple of weeks ago. probably better then i did on the day of the group lesson though. my pony was also pooped out and that was relaxing too.

Well try to aim for that feeling on all lessons. Better to go slow and have everything put together than fast and having trouble.

But seriously girl, you have improved so much!

HorseLoverHunter 05-21-2012 10:22 PM

thank you so much!