The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Share Your Kill Pen Rescue! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/share-your-kill-pen-rescue-123989/)

shelbyolson7494 05-20-2012 02:21 AM

Share Your Kill Pen Rescue!

If you would like your Kill Pen save's picture to be on the new Facebook page "Stop Horse Kill Pens" please share their pictures on this thread. I'll start it off with my kill pen save "Gracie"
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...15949164_n.jpg

Speed Racer 05-20-2012 07:05 AM

So you bought her at the slaughter house? Because that's the only way you'd have gotten her out of the kill pens.

Buying at auction isn't 'rescuing from the kill pens', it's just a horse purchase like any other.

I get tired of people who BUY a horse, then exclaim to everyone and sundry that they rescued it. That word has come to mean absolutely nothing nowadays.

Taffy Clayton 05-20-2012 08:00 AM

Gracie is very cute and sweet looking.

Skyseternalangel 05-20-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1507792)
I get tired of people who BUY a horse, then exclaim to everyone and sundry that they rescued it. That word has come to mean absolutely nothing nowadays.

Agreed :/ There is a huge difference between a rescue and an auction/BLM/whatever-organization.

But on another note, Gracie is beautiful.

eventerwannabe 05-20-2012 03:14 PM

I also live in Washington, Shelby! Gracie is such a cutie, I'm really glad you got her out of the kill pen. She is going to make one nice little mare once she is all cleaned up. (:

themacpack 05-20-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1507792)
So you bought her at the slaughter house? Because that's the only way you'd have gotten her out of the kill pens.

Buying at auction isn't 'rescuing from the kill pens', it's just a horse purchase like any other.

While I do agree with the over-use of the whole "rescue" term (not just in horses, either - it's so overused in the dog circle too) - I don't agree that one can ONLY claim "kill pen" if the horse is brought straight from the slaughterhouse. If a horse is purchased from a known meat-buyer (ie the horsey concentration camp not far from here :-( - horses build up in his nasty "pasture" - most still with hip tags on - until he gets enough accumulated over a couple of weeks and then they all just disappear overnight), that is -imo- taking them out of the kill pen. Yes, plenty of that type of buyer has learned to use the ol' "Give me twice what I paid at auction or the horse gets it" line to appeal to people to purchase the horses - but it doesn't change the fact that those buyers DO purchase the horse at auction with the intent of sending them to the packing plant. To me, a "kill pen" can easily be used to refer to the pens where these buyers accumulate their horses during the auction, the pens on their property where they keep the horses to build their load and even the pens at the auction where the undesirable horses that won't be run through as mounts during the main auction are kept waiting to be sold off.

shelbyolson7494 05-20-2012 07:56 PM

Does anyone here even know what a kill pen looks like? And that kill pen horses WILL BE SHIPPED TO A SLAUGHTER HOUSE if not taken out of the kill pen? Once they are on that slaughter truck there is no saving them. Learn things before you speak.

Roperchick 05-20-2012 08:15 PM

easy there y'all. Shelby why dont you kind of elaborate on what kinda pics you want? say like any rescue on the verge of being euthanized or rescued from an uninhabitable place? any neglegted horse or just those rescued from going to meat factories?

perseption is reality. people form opinions and ideas based on what the ysee and hear. so sometime a subject such as this, which has huge outcomes/factors/etc. can get touchy based on a difference of said opinion.

So maybe just ask for any rescues pictures would be better? pics of any of ur lovable hooved friends taken from a bad place into a more loving situation?

mind 05-20-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbyolson7494 (Post 1508550)
Does anyone here even know...that kill pen horses WILL BE SHIPPED TO A SLAUGHTER HOUSE if not taken out of the kill pen?...Learn things before you speak.

The title kill pen is pretty self explanatory. So yes, everyone here knows that horses bought buy meat buyers are sent to slaughter houses.

themacpack 05-20-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbyolson7494 (Post 1508550)
Does anyone here even know what a kill pen looks like? And that kill pen horses WILL BE SHIPPED TO A SLAUGHTER HOUSE if not taken out of the kill pen? Once they are on that slaughter truck there is no saving them. Learn things before you speak.

Perhaps thinking before speaking would also do you well. It is obvious you are passionate about the subject, but your message will go farther with a more thought out delivery - yelling at people makes you much less likely to be heard.