The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Should we buy or shoudnt we buy? (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/should-we-buy-shoudnt-we-buy-124/)

duck_jb 12-13-2006 04:02 AM

Should we buy or shoudnt we buy?

Hello
I am new here and am looking for some outside advise. This may be a long post but its a fairly complicated story and resulting question.

The back ground:...
I am an expreinced rider but am not expert in any one particular area, have guided pack trips, done basic level english a little hunter and dressage showing and worked in a bunch of barns. I am marrried and in my mid twenties. I am a part time student who is now looking for a job. My husband is self employed and we live in a medium sized canadian city.

The Story leading up to now....
This past spring I picked up a job at a well respected riding stable in my area. I loved working there, the owner could be difficult but they ran a well managed and well looked after facility. Nearing the end of my summer there I began riding in lessons with them using one of their horses. I was very lucky in that arrangement. Anyway about a month ago they switched me onto another horse. Low and behold he is by far the best horse I have EVER sat on. Best built, best gaits, best attitude, best physical ability. But he was just of field rest due to an injury. So I am getting him a a little better shape for sale. I am now part boarding him and riding twice a week. The thing is I am so so so worried he will get sold out from underneith me. The thing is he is a show horse. I HATE horse shows. I love the grooming, the prep, the cheering on, but HATE actually doing the showing.

Anyway I am wondering if it is nuts to buy a horse that I can only really ride about 3 times a week and can really only comfortably pay about half to 2/3rds of its expences right now and dont want to show, just because I want to learn as much as I possibly can and want to be around to cheer him on? Do you guys think it makes sence to buy him knowing he will have to be part boarded out? Does anyone know of anyone else doing anything like this?

My husband is on board as long as I can manage to pay for his basic $600.00 (boarding+farrier+shots+lessons) out of additional income I may bring in if I decide to get a job with more hours. I only work very part time now as I am still in school full time until January, when I will be going down to part time school. As well we are thinking/hopoing to be able to sell our city house in March to buy out near the barn where the best horse in the world lives, hopefully with a field to keep my elderly retierd mare until her time comes. No major barn or anything. The new horse wouldnt be living there with us, he would stay where he is.

Anyway if anyone can make out what I just wrote, I would be really grateful. I just really need sets of outside eyes to tell me if I am nuts or not. Now, please, please, please be honest, I have 'lost' other great horses before to sale ect, and survived, so if he isnt right for me then i know I will move on... eventually.

Thanks
duck :D

Cedarsgirl 12-15-2006 09:47 AM

Sounds like quite the dilema. Would the owner consider leasing the horse? This way if you lease with someone else you can share in the costs, care, riding etc. You could ride him certain days of the week and if the other person is into showing that could be done too. I don't have any experience with leasing, but I know of quite a few people who do and it works out well for them. Then maybe down the road when time and money are not such huge factors and you are still wanting to buy, maybe you could purcase him then? Just a thought.

child in time 12-15-2006 04:33 PM

Leasing is something which in most cases ends badly. Owner of a horse can find so many things to bill after leasing time so I am not so happy with that idea. Buyin a horse if you can't ride him every day, to me it's same like every other buying of horse. If you eycept showing what other people do with their horses they don't have much benefit from a horse. So my opinion is if you have money to put in that horse why don't you buy it?

child in time 12-15-2006 04:34 PM

Anyway welcome and hello!

kristy 12-16-2006 12:24 AM

I think we are a bit in the same boat. I have a close to retirement horse that I take care of until his time comes. In the mean time, I am desperate for a new riding horse that can go through high endurance schooling.

I will go ahead and say sorry for any misunderstandings I may have.

Why must this horse show? Will the owner only sell this as a show horse? The horse will lose no value in my opinion if he is merely your loved and greatly adored companion versus your companion that you must show. Yes, the horse's value will increase after many years of dedicated schooling and showing, but whether he be a more expensive horse or a cheap one, this will not and should not affect the love you have for this animal. I am not dedicated to the showing world, I haven't been for years. I instead spend time working with my horse and other's horses doing other things that suit me better then any show could. Showing is not necessary for me, and I believe it isn't for you either. If you truely believe that this horse you love is absolutely meant to be in the show ring and you couldn't think of him not showing his potential in that way - don't buy him. You will sell yourself short with guilt and feeling as if he is not in the best situation. If you believe that you could have this horse and be satsified with him not being a show horse, continue to thinking about buying him.
One of my concerns is his past injury and the fact that you do not initially have enough money to cover his basic expenses. I feel for you completely and underly for the fact that the lack of money has cut into my passion for horses many times. What if he relaspes or another costly injury occurs? Do you know someone that you trust and like that could lease the horse from you (if you bought him)? It can be difficult finding the right person to lease your horse - or even just finding someone RELIABLE and trustworthy. Another huge issue would be the fact that you would have to rely on someone heavily for the expenses of your horse. If they could not keep their end of the deal up as far as expenses go, you'd be in a stressful and difficult situation. If you could pick up more working hours or work at the barn or work off his board, just so you could be self efficient, this would be ideal.

If you choose to buy him while accepting that he will not be a frequently showed horse, you could possibly find someone that liked showing that would occasionally show the horse for you. That way, you could be the owner but still the one cheering the horse on. Perhaps you know someone that loves showing, and they could show the horse frequently?
If you buy him knowing you have to lease him, it would not be a crazy thing to do only if you have someone trustworthy, reliable and compatible lined up for the lease. It would also be a good option to pick up more hours at work to be able to pay the full cost of the horse (without going overboard with working).
As far as how often you ride- this varies among riders. My trainers as well as my trainer's trainers will always disagree on how often to ride. I have heard a dressage professional say once a week and another every day. This all depends on the horse. Three times a week sounds like a good amount, not too over whelming but not too far apart. Youngsters, I will argue, need more time then older horses. I would imagine that this isn't a horse younger then 3 or 4. He sounds to have the basics down that a youngster needs to be repetitively and often taught.
And learning. You will never agree with the fact that you know enough. I promise. So if you are waiting until that day, stop waiting.
I will only say one thing: My greatest teacher was my first horse. Some bad habits were learned but all were correctable. I bought an older and very wise horse, but nonetheless, your horse will teach you things only he can say.
Lastly, if you buy, keep getting lessons. This is important. They don't have to be weekly, perhaps every 2 - whenever. Just get many exercises to work on in between these lessons. I think you could find a way to do this even if you work 4 extra hours every two weeks or do some barn chores.
If you can be financialy stable (ha) without worrying yourself to death, I say go for it. If you truely love the horse and must have him, I think you will find a way and won't let him go.

whhew...

duck_jb 12-17-2006 09:30 PM

Hello all
Thanks so much for responding
With Christmas and all, I didnt have time to respond any sooner. Anyway. when I was out last I was talking to the owner (my coach as well) he told me that I dont really need to worry and to take my time. I took that to be that he has no intention of selling him in the short term. As well it was nice to know he wasnt going to use any preasure tactics with me. So I think that I will just keep part boarding into the new year and I will deal with the buying option if I need to. So in the mean time I will just enjoy him as much as I can and learn as much as I can. I was so so so happy to hear that hey are happy to keep him through the winter. It will let me really try him out and see if I cna make it work. I think that I will up my riding days in the new year as a start.
Thanks for all your input
duck