The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Baby born with hoofs not formed? (Baby did not make it) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/baby-born-hoofs-not-formed-baby-124015/)

racheld90 05-20-2012 12:12 PM

Baby born with hoofs not formed? (Baby did not make it)

My baby mini donkey was born this morning. She has no hoofs on the bottems or on her toe part. What is this? She is having a very hard time standing, so we have been holding her up to nurse. Vet is on his way. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I will load a pic later on.

Cowgirls Boots 05-20-2012 12:51 PM

Subbing
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 05-20-2012 12:52 PM

Subbing to see pics later.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 05-20-2012 12:56 PM

I do know that foals are born with a soft coating on their hooves to keep from damaging the uterus/birth canal during the birth. Beyond that, I can't invision what you are talking about.

Cherie 05-20-2012 01:04 PM

We need photos to see what you are talking about.

Just remember, all of the 'minis' got that small by extreme inbreeding. You see many deformities in all sorts of minis -- if that is what it is.

Cat 05-20-2012 01:09 PM

Maybe a congenital defect of some sort?

Here is a website with pictures of the normal "foal slippers"

Laughing Orca Ranch: Feathery Foal Feet

racheld90 05-20-2012 03:28 PM

Neera

7 Attachment(s)
Vet is not sure what this is. He gave use a couple things too keep it clean we have too clean it 4 times a day. She can no longer stand because its painful. He said give her about a week, if it does not improve we will have too put her down. I cant even think about putting down a baby so young. So lets hope. Here are some pics. We named her Neera. Anyone ever seen this before?

nvr2many 05-20-2012 03:32 PM

Subbing, want to see how this baby does. Praying.

franknbeans 05-20-2012 03:34 PM

Gosh. So sorry. THat just looks so painful to me. I am not sure I could wait the week.

themacpack 05-20-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1508271)
Gosh. So sorry. THat just looks so painful to me. I am not sure I could wait the week.

Ageed - especially considering even the vet is at a loss as to how to even try to address the situation. Unless there was another vet who could offer a second opinion I'd be hard pressed to prolong suffering. As horrible as it is to have to consider ending a new life - if the condition is so painful that the animal cannot stand on it's own feet the physical and mental suffering (after all, a prey animal who cannot stand - and therefor knows it cannot flee - is going to feel extreme distress) is going to eliminate quality of life. These are the times when we have to put their well-being above our own {hugs}