The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   1st Hunter/Jumper Show, Need Advice (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/1st-hunter-jumper-show-need-advice-124135/)

crazyhattricks 05-21-2012 01:23 PM

1st Hunter/Jumper Show, Need Advice

Hi!
So I'm about to go to my 1st Hunter/Jumper show in 11 years! I'm planning on entering in the "B" Circuit Training Jumpers which is around 3'. I know its a timed event and your not necessary judged on your riding and your horses way of going, well I don't think so anyways.
Well I have a couple questions about it.
1. What do I do if my horse refuses a jump, I don't think she will but you never know.
2. Do I need tall boots, or can I get away with paddock boots and half chaps?
3. What are some things you guys do to have a successful show?
Any other advice on what I should do for the show would be greatly appreciated!

crazyhattricks 05-21-2012 01:27 PM

Oh! Forgot to ask!
What types of jumps should I be working on? Oxers, roll tops, etc...
I'm all new to this again, ahaha

Thoroughbred Lover 05-21-2012 04:23 PM

For your first question: if she refuses, don't punish her. It looks bad and it will just freak her out even more! Circle her around at a steady canter and approach the jump from a good distance off, so she can get a good look at it the second time. Talk to her, especially if she feels tense. It will get her mindset on "Oh,hmm,what are you saying,oh! that was the jump I'm supposed to refuse at!" instead of "Oh golly,here it comes,here's that scary one,STOP!"

For your second question, I'm wondering the same thing. If it's a smaller show, then I think half chaps with paddock boots will be fine. Don't be afraid to ask the show co-ordinater, too.

It's a good idea to make sure she loads well before the morning of the show. If this isn't possible, allow yourself plenty of time the day of, so if she is difficult, you don't feel rushed.

Also, if you have time before the day of the show, it might be a good idea to take her to a show, as big or as small as you want, but don't show her. Just take her and ride her around the show grounds so that she gets used to the sights and sounds. That way, you don't have the stress of showing.

I hope this helps! And remember, you're doing this for fun!:-)

Thoroughbred Lover 05-21-2012 04:25 PM

Oh, and forgot to add...GOOD LUCK!!!

crazyhattricks 05-21-2012 04:27 PM

Thanks!
Ill take you advice for talking to her. As for hauling & loading, she's been hauled for the past 6 years to different events. She's fine being hauled.
But thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 05-22-2012 12:32 PM

You're right, the jumpers are not based on your horse's way of going, but there are several rules (or "tables") on how the course should be ridden. Make sure you know if you do your first course, stop, and hten move on to your jumpoff or if it's "power and speed" (jump your first course and if it's clear immediately continue to your jumpoff without stopping). There are other tables too but those are the most popular.

1. What do I do if my horse refuses a jump, I don't think she will but you never know.
You circle back around and do it again. I would disagree with the above poster in certain horses. Some horses need a smack to know they can't get away with it. Some horses will freak out. You know your horse, act accordingly. But according ot the rules you have 2 chances before you're excused from the ring. Also "crossing your path" (or circling) counts as a refusal.
For a B show in the jumpers you can get away with paddock boots and half chaps if htey're neat and tidy. I would give them a good cleaning.
Any other advice on what I should do for the show would be greatly appreciated!
Other then know the tables and memorize your course... I'd practice some good turns, rollbacks, bending lines, etc. And some combinations like in and outs, triples, etc. And... HAVE FUN! :)

upnover 05-22-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhattricks (Post 1509877)
Oh! Forgot to ask!
What types of jumps should I be working on? Oxers, roll tops, etc...
I'm all new to this again, ahaha

i'd do 'em all. Oxers and verticles for sure. We have roll tops at our jumper shows. I don't think there would be water in a 3" B show but you could always stick a tarp under a jump just to make sure your horse will do it.

MudPaint 05-27-2012 10:29 AM

Don't just assume that your horse won't refuse. Ride each fence actively. If you stop riding and become a passenger, that's when you will have a refusal. If you do have a refusal, be aware of what caused it... did your horse last minute just duck out, did it slow to a halt, or start refusing strides out? This will tell you what you need to do to get over it the second time. Once your over the fence, leave that jump behind and forget it. Unless your horse is freaking out at every fence, don't ride like it.

Personally, I think you should have tall boots. But if you don't, at least the real leather half chaps in black that look like tall boots. However, if you haven't been riding in tall boots, this may not be the time to start.

Don't sweat it. It's just a show... go out... have fun... don't beat yourself up over it. Ride to your best, set yourself goals, and don't worry about the placings.

Start developing a warm up plan now... if your horse gets hollow and looky, how are you going to bring it back... if it's running at fences, what will settle him... etc. That way when you get on to school you dont spend an hour and precious energy trying to figure out what to do.

I like having a checklist of everything that should be on the trailer so I know it's all there and clean.

As for your last question.... Jump everything.. anything... start making up your own stuff. The more experience the better.

Good luck, have fun, and be sure to post pics!

JumperGurl 06-06-2012 07:58 PM

Umm well you probably went to your show already. One thing that the others didn't mention though is that if you are in a jumper/equitation class and there is a combination there are different rules if your horse refuses it.

So lets say that fence 6 is a combo of A and B...in essence a one stride.
If your horse refuses 6B you have to jump through the whole combo again. So you have to circle back around to 6A.

Hope you had fun!!!!! And I hope this helps for future reference.

ElvenAngel81 06-14-2012 11:44 AM

Agree with MudPaint.

And personally, I think tall boots look better + it makes me leg better