The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Hunter Pleasure Classes - anyone else? (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/hunter-pleasure-classes-anyone-else-124138/)

With Grace 05-21-2012 01:31 PM

Hunter Pleasure Classes - anyone else?

My new Morgan mare and I will be entering our first breed show this summer in Hunter Pleasure classes. Anyone else show in Hunter Pleasure? (Open, Arab, etc?)

I'd love some tips for the show ring, and training as well - thanks!

EquineCookies 05-24-2012 02:42 PM

I am competing in Hunter Pleasure classes this summer with my Arab mare as well! This will be my first show but in 2008 my horse was awarded Arabian Hunter Pleasure Champion. :)

Your horse should be in a lower, more rectangular frame with her neck held lower and less bend at the poll, as opposed to the more upright frame. Her stride should be long and cover ground, and if she's high-headed, short strided, or on a draped rein for more than a few strides, you'll be penalized. Your horse should also look like a pleasure to ride, hence the name, "hunter pleasure". I'm not sure if the rules in your area are the same as the ones here in Canada, but I hope I helped :)
Posted via Mobile Device

With Grace 05-25-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquineCookies (Post 1515023)
I am competing in Hunter Pleasure classes this summer with my Arab mare as well! This will be my first show but in 2008 my horse was awarded Arabian Hunter Pleasure Champion. :)

Your horse should be in a lower, more rectangular frame with her neck held lower and less bend at the poll, as opposed to the more upright frame. Her stride should be long and cover ground, and if she's high-headed, short strided, or on a draped rein for more than a few strides, you'll be penalized. Your horse should also look like a pleasure to ride, hence the name, "hunter pleasure". I'm not sure if the rules in your area are the same as the ones here in Canada, but I hope I helped :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Yay another HP rider!

Thanks for the tips. Not sure how it is in the Arab world, but apparently clothing styles and fads are very important in the Morgan shows, I think thats what I am worrying over the most LOL!

WMJ Contribution123 07-17-2012 09:55 AM

Im showing this year as well at nationals. in the ring you need to be calm and focused. Your horse needs to be nice and tight in the birdle and try to bet her to walk as big of strides as you can. Keep her like 2-4 feet from the rail but not too close to the judges.when Also keep out of packs if ouur in a group they will never see you. get by yourself and show your horse off when your all by yourself the judges can really focus on you. and at the walk it is the best time to get by yourself if there is a [pack or even 1 horse walk a little late. and most of all just have fun if you need any more help email me sjrsara@aol.com hope this helped:D

uflrh9y 07-19-2012 09:40 AM

My daughter shows HP in Arab/H-Arab shows. She did very well in her class this past June. I'm no sure if the style is the same in Morgans, but I bet they are pretty similar. My daughter wore a darker jacket (dark blue but not the typical navy) that was tailored well to her. You want to be a pleasure to look at, too and an ill fitting jacket does not help with a pleasurable picture. She wore a purple shirt with a tight collar and a pin. I know some people don't like snoods and buns but I am ok with them. However, my daughter's hair is shorter so we stuck it all in her helmet and I think it gave a really clean look. As long as it's neat. :)

Make sure you wear gloves.

Good luck!

Also, remember that if you are in the ring, you are showing. During line up, smile, and keep you and your horse in form. In the last class class, my daughter was in line up and a little girl came in and lined up almost directly on top of her. My daughter proceeded to do a bit of a side pass over away from the girl. The judge commented on it! Always show you are in control and relaxed. :)

With Grace 07-20-2012 11:30 PM

^^^Thanks for the tips! Arab HP is very similar. I'm still struggling with how to wear my hair...its past the middle of my back and would never fit in my helmet. A bun with a hair net? I just don't know what to do!

uflrh9y 07-21-2012 07:56 AM

Can you do the 2 hairnet trick? Where you apply the one hairnet front to back, make a ponytail, then apply a second one back to front, and put your helmet on top of that?

If not, just make your life easier and use a snood (the smallest that will fit) without a big bow. Some people on here don't like them, but I've never heard of anyone being marked lower because of one. :)