The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Minis!! (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/minis-124155/)

HarleyWood 05-21-2012 04:32 PM

Minis!!

okay so its not desided yet but me and my mom are thinking about getting minis!! we would get 2 geldings. and we would make a pasture for them and everything and theyd get a stall together. and everything we would teach them to drive if they dont know it.

anything to get for them if we deside to get them?

Endiku 05-21-2012 04:59 PM

Well theres lots of things to know, but the first is that you probably shouldn't put them in a stall together. If they start fighting (as boys do often...) one could easily be cornered and be seriously injured. Its best to have atleast something little to give one relief from the other, even if its just a metal stall wall. That way they can see eachother, but get away if they need to.

NdAppy 05-21-2012 05:01 PM

True minis or ponies? What size stall? Are you pasturing them with your other horses? Are you going to dry lot them or let them be on pasture full time. If on pasture do you know what to look for regarding founder?

racheld90 05-21-2012 05:43 PM

Mini's are a joy to have! I have 3 mini horses and 5 mini donkeys. I think mares and geldings get along a little better, if you have a smaller pasture or want to stall them together. Again you want to make sure they get used to each other first. My mare stays thin on grass hay and grain. My gelding and stud get fat on air, i could never put them on pasture they are in a dry lot.

HarleyWood 05-21-2012 05:43 PM

we want minis like 32inch or around there. we will have an arena and round pen we can put them in to exersize a bit in bad weather. we have stakes that you can build a small pen that we would bring them around our yard to eat the grass. but would get hay twice a day. they would not go with our other horses two of them the younger ones dont really like small things they like to go after our dogs. but id feel safe with my QH hes very good with things he doesnt mind when my pup nips his nose or when they are running around him but theyd be watched. 10' by 10' stall they will only go in if its bad out or they will be in a pasture or round pen. we are still thinking of things to do and such.

HarleyWood 05-21-2012 05:57 PM

we are gelding people! and mares make my QH mean to the other horses. so we can only get geldings.

Poseidon 05-21-2012 06:02 PM

Harley, how much land do you own? If you have horses (and plan on getting more), I'm going to assume that you have enough land to abide by your county's zoning laws. Why not just put up some fencing and have pastures for your horses? Or at least paddocks of some sort? Your roundpen is not big enough for all of your horses plus a round bale. 5 hours of turn out is not very much at all. They're horses. They need to move around. Same with these minis. A 10x10 stall is tiny and you cannot throw 2 minis into it.

And based on the other active threads you have now, I would discourage you from getting minis until you get your other horses in order and up to the standards of health you want.

HarleyWood 05-21-2012 06:12 PM

we had to take down our other fence last fall to build a winter pasture so they wouldnt kill all the grass. this weekend we are rebuilding their other pasture we have 10 acres and my dads looking for more land. then they will be out all day and night unless its bad out. by the time we get the minis we will have everything set up. we know what we are doing thank you.

Poseidon 05-21-2012 06:16 PM

Well excuse me then. The only parts of your current situation that I am aware of are what you post publicly online, which does not include your plans for fencing, just that you are cramming your horses into a roundpen and plan to put minis in a stall. However, my opinion on your family getting minis still stands.

NdAppy 05-21-2012 06:20 PM

I'm with Po here. We don't know anything other than what you post... that you have issues with your current horses, etc, etc. I'm also with her that you should stick with the horses you have and fix your problems with them before adding more/any other horses to the situation.