The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I felt it! Contact, I got contact with Oliver!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-felt-contact-i-got-contact-124160/)

Klassic Superstar 05-21-2012 05:23 PM

I felt it! Contact, I got contact with Oliver!!

Okay so I'm having a crap day and was trying to lift spirits and think of something to make me smile:-|

This last weekend I got the first real contact, kept it and moved forward with it. This is so big for Ollie and I. Took alot of time and convicing for me to get him there but when I did holy smokes....it made my week and I'm feeling better just thinking back on it.

My last trainer wanted to just jump him all the time and I finally said enough, moved him and am making progress on our foundation work!
Anywhoo had to share that amazing awesome feeling of contact, fluid togetherness in like 2-6 strides! Not much but it's a start!

Thanks....I feel better now :wink:

Oxer 05-22-2012 12:21 AM

Do you guys work "long and low" at all? I find that, in the event that my horse is having a decent day and isn't totally nutty, working him long and low for the first 15 to 20 mins, and then slowly bringing him up and in to the contact, seems to work very well for us. Then the last 15 to 20 mins i will work him long and low again. He usually reaches out to the bit and it's really a lovely feeling.

Anyway... Congrats on your accomplishment! Sometimes we just need those little hints that what we are doing is right. That liiiiittle bit of validation keeps that fire lit!

Skyseternalangel 05-22-2012 12:24 AM

Way to rock it!! :) Good on you for giving your horse some time to get it together. You two are doing so well!

Klassic Superstar 05-23-2012 12:08 PM

Thanks guys, yes I have been working on long and low with him....The trainer I had for almost 8 months was really...i mean really into jumpinga dn only jumping and wound up pulling him out of her barn for multipul reasons but that beinga big one he wasnt doing anything on the flat....only spooking at the huge gate in the indoor... every lesson we had we wouldbe jumping or if we wherent doing that was pattern work for my friend to get ready for her 4-h fair and shows...yes it was better then nothing but come to find out even with my working him on my days of no lessons and riding on the flat he didnt..still doesnt but learning about the bit. he had no clue how to be in a frame....not bunched up but with contact, solid contact and he is slowky going to get there he learns fasta dn likes to please but thats not the point...by nowmy 6 year old should have this down as its our foundation to everything ahead of us.

So there it is my horse is back into kindergartin lol
Oh well I just want a correct happy horse